Icons on desktop stopped working

Discussion in 'Software' started by vizarati, Nov 14, 2011.

1. vizarati

vizarati Private E-2

Just bought a new computer about 6 weeks ago. Its been working great up until last night. I had a problem with my CA Security Suite not working and so I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. Did this about 10 times until finally got help from the CA company themselves. Well now almost every icon on my desktop and in my start menu (all programs) has stopped working. When I click on one of the icons it says one of the following things:

Problem with Shortcut
    This action is only valid for products that are currently installed.

[OK]

----------
    Problem with Shortcut

The parameter is incorrect.

[OK]

---------------------

I don't know what happened. I don't know if I should do a restore point or what. I don't have a recovery CD because Toshiba didn't tell me that it didn't come with the computer. Microsoft Office 2007 has completely stopped working and I am having to reinstall it. Skype, All MSOffice programs, Adobe, Online Games etc.. give me this error. Most of the programs still work if I go through there install folder and click on them.

MS Word gives me this message from install folder:
    ---------------------------
    Microsoft Office Word 12.0
    There is not enough memory or disk space to run Word.
    OK

I have 6gbs ram and a 500 HDD....

Any help would be great. I don't think I have a virus or anything but I will preform the Malware Scan's as in that forum. However I have had my share of viruses and this seems to me some kind of Windows 7 F**k up.

Info:

Windows 7 64bit
    Toshiba Satellite
    6 weeks old

I am a college student and need to have this fixed asap if at all possible.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2011
  2. samtal

samtal Corporal

3. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Re: Something F****d Up.

You seriously messed up by not creating your recovery disk before problems struck, but all may not be lost. Depending on the model you have it's possible it has a recovery partition on the hard disk. Have a look HERE.

You don't help your cause using a thread title like that!

4. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Agreed. I've changed the title to actually describe your problem. There is a reason we have profanity filtered out here. Do not use it again, even by using **'s to get around it.

5. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

You may have an infection. Try running this:
    Please download and save the below tool from Grinler @ bleepingcomputer to your Desktop or anywhere else you can find it ( if the Desktop is not showing )

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/unhide.exe

Now run it. Now see if you can find the items that seemed to be missing?

6. vizarati

vizarati Private E-2

I am incredibly sorry if I offended anyone with that title. I am just fed up with all the problems I have with Windows computers. (Please no MAC inputs). I tried the Unhide.exe file it didn't work. I preformed a restore to the earliest point that I could get and its all working again now. I hope it keeps working. Can someone point me in the direction of a to make a image backup? I also have a restore option and a 50gb recovery partion. I am also buying the windows 7 that should have came with the computer but apparently Microsoft has become to cheap to give it out with the computer when the person pays for it.

Thanks for the help and again im sorry for the title.

7. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

EaseUS Todo is a good, free imaging program. Be sure to create the bootable rescue CD once it's installed. Images need to be stored off the main drive, ideally on an external drive though it is possible with DVDs.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds