I'd like help picking a video capture device

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tonysolomon, Nov 15, 2005.

1. tonysolomon

tonysolomon Private E-2

I have an Abit IS7 w/ 865PE chipset, P4C 2.4GHZ/800MHZ FSB, Gigabyte 9600XT video card, Audigy LS sound card, 1GB G.Skill Dual DDR400 2-2-2-5, and an NEC +R/-R dual layer burner.

I want to copy VHS to DVD. What's the best way to do that at a reasonable price?

2. tonysolomon

tonysolomon Private E-2

I also have a 300GB SATA-150 7200RPM w/16MB, if that helps.

3. tonysolomon

tonysolomon Private E-2

The reason I ask is, because I'd like to be able to use a few editing programs that I have to edit and consolidate a few hundred of my vhs tapes.

4. tonysolomon

tonysolomon Private E-2

Thank you for your help. Unless you can explain, I'll have to google what you said, because I don't understand what the following statements mean:

5. tonysolomon

tonysolomon Private E-2

I also wanted to state that I don't need a remote for the device, and that quality results are key.

6. tonysolomon

tonysolomon Private E-2

Unless, in your quote, you were referring to dvd to vhs, I have some questions for you.

When you talk about cyberlink, are you referring to the dvd editing software, PowerDVD?

Isn't that S-video to SCART for sending video and sound to the TV or VCR?
    From what I can tell, it will take audio from my sound card and video from my video card.

What is running the video card in clone with the TV? I can't find it.

7. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

He means having the video output of the monitor "clone" what is being shown on the screen. In this case, the output from a DVD. That would send your VHS a feed of the DVD that you could record. However, that wasn't your question.

Cyberlink is simply a particular DVD playing software that alot of drives come bundled with.

Anyway... to answer your original question!!

If you've got composite cables (video, right+left), then you can capture video and sound at the same time.

Somthing like this might do the tick:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814144032
    You'd need to hook sound up to your line-in on your soundc card though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814144029
    One of these can record sound in the same unit too :)

You might need some software to go with, depending on your choice.

Hope that helps :)

8. tonysolomon

tonysolomon Private E-2

Thank you both.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds