IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers 5.1.2600.2180

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gektumi, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Gektumi

Gektumi Private First Class

Please help!
    I'm not sure if this should be in the hardware or the driver section. I've been tracking this lately as if it's a driver issue, but the point is to get my IDEs working. Anyway..

When I boot up, before coming to my Windows XP Home edition, I get a message that says my secondary drives (a "generic" CD-Rom and Optorite CD/DVD) are non-ATAPI. To continue the boot, the screen tells me to press F1. Well, of course the two drives definitely are ATAPI and have been booting properly for several months both in Win 98 and Win XP when I switched over in the last couple months.

The problem started after I got a Blue Screen of Death saying the Kernel was damaged. I don't know what caused it, because it went black before I could write down 1/10th of the info. My intentions have been to reinstall Windows XP. When I put in the XP install disk, however, it bypasses the CD in the CD-Rom and simply requires I select the F1 key, which restarts the program on the hard drive.

When I bring up Windows Explorer, the two IDEs do not show up. When I look in the device manager, the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers area shows (just as before the crash) the Primary IDE Channel, the Secondary IDE Channel and the VIA Bus Master IDE Controller. When I try to update the drivers using the update Wizard, it has repeatedly said I have the most recent drivers and it won't update or reinstall.

I used DriverGuide Toolkit 1.1 and among the Microsoft drivers that are shown as present on my machine are two for IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers 5.1.2600.2180. I backed up the "drivers", looked in the folders I had labeled and found nothing inside them (and I have selected to see hidden folders.)

Although there is a function to search for updated drivers in the Toolkit, the program says that I should obtain my drivers from Microsoft.

They are not provided by the Update function at Microsoft when I tried there, and when I put the driver name in their Find function, I get nothing. (Not surprising because I've never found the search function useful for anything even slightly technical for XP, like a version number. Without the version number, it gave me stuff for the 2003 Microsoft Server. )

I have an MSI motherboard with an AMD Sempron 2600+ processor. The chipsets are VIA KT400A, if that's of any use. My Windows XP Home edition is one that came with the SP2 on the CD-ROM.

I'm really lost on this one. Would appreciate the help getting these drivers and anything else necessary to get the IDEs working. I really need to reinstall the Windows XP--at least I hope that's what it takes to repair the Kernel, or whatever has ultimately gone off track.

Actually, as I think about it, the notification and hitch on restarting Windows is the only problem I have with the operating system that I can detect. Hmm.

Very gratefully yours,
    Gektumi

2. Gektumi

Having reread the sticky at the top of all the forums, I'll be more thorough in describing my system.
    The following is from Belarc Advisor. My BIOS has the title: AMBIOS. This must be the same as American Megatrends (as it's described in Belarc).
    Thank you again.

Operating System
    Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)

Processor:
    1.85 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
    128 kilobyte primary memory cache
    256 kilobyte secondary memory cache

System Model:
    MSI MS-6712 1.0

Main Circuit Board:
    Board: MSI MS-6712 1.0
    Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
    BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. Version 07.00T 04/02/01

Memory Modules:
    1024 Megabytes Installed Memory
    Slot '0' has 512 MB
    Slot '1' has 512 MB
    Slot '2' is Empty

Drives:
    a: 3.5" format removeable media [floppy drive--this drive may not be very dependable, but have not replaced it.]
    c: (NTFS on drive 0) 300.06 GB [Seagate--the master drive where Windows XP "lives"]
    d: (NTFS on drive 1) 250.06 GB [Hitachi]
    (Both hard drives are fairly new--last couple of months. No partitions at this time. Was planning on creating some with Partition Magic.)

Controllers:
    Standary floppy disk controller
    Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
    Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
    VIA Bus Master IDE Controller

Bus Adapters
    NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller (B1)
    NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller (2x)
    VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller (3x)
    VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller

Other Devices:
    VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    PS/2 Compatible Mouse
    USB Root Hub (7x)

Installed Microsoft Hotfixes
    Internet Explorer SP2 (SP2)
    Windows XP
    SP3
    passed verification KB873339
    passed verification KB885250
    passed verification KB885835
    passed verification KB885836
    passed verification KB886185
    passed verification KB887472
    passed verification KB887742
    passed verification KB888113
    passed verification KB888302
    passed verification KB890046
    passed verification KB890859
    passed verification KB891781
    passed verification KB893066
    passed verification KB893756
    passed verification KB893803V2
    passed verification KB894391
    passed verification KB896358
    passed verification KB896422
    passed verification KB896423
    passed verification KB896424
    passed verification KB896428
    passed verification KB896688
    passed verification KB898461
    passed verification KB899587
    passed verification KB899591
    passed verification KB900725
    passed verification KB901017
    passed verification KB901214
    passed verification KB902400
    passed verification KB904706
    passed verification KB905414
    passed verification KB905749

3. DCO57

DCO57 Private E-2

Try updating the Bios

4. Gektumi

Hey, thanks. I had tried that, not realized it was relevant! I used the MSI Live Update and was going to flash the BIOS again (I'd done this the first install with Windows XP--this will be my third reinstall for various reasons.)

This time, it asked me to make a floppy, and I've had trouble with the 3 1/2".

No other way to make floppies, so I gave up. Is there another way to flash it again, or another possible solution?

Appreciate this.

5. Gektumi

Is there maybe another source I should go to for this question? I have to fix the computer myself, and I'm at the end of my technical knowledge. I've been able to make the floppie required for flashing the BIO, but it either isn't taking or it's a different issue for why my computer is not properly detecting the CD-Rom drives as ATAPI-compatible.
    Thanks very much.

6. DCO57

DCO57 Private E-2

Go into CMOS and check that both ATAPI drives are enabled. If not, enable them.For some reason, I've seen IDE drives suddenly become disabled in the BIOS for no apparent reason.
    If that doesn't do it, try unplugging both drives, reboot (Windows will now remove any trace of them),then turn off PC and reconnect one drive, reboot, let Windows report "found new hardware" and it'll reinstall automatically. Then repeat for the other drive.That'll accomplish the same thing as reinstalling Windows without all the hassle.
    If that doesn't do it (and I'm positive it will), then reinstall Windows.
    Good Luck,
    DCO

7. Gektumi

Thank you! Thank you! thank you! It worked! This was the perfect solution. :) I also went in and changed the CMOS to "Auto" for the two devices, because with the CMOS saying "CD-ROM" on the two devices, I still got the ATAPI incompatible message. Now everything is working perfectly.

I want to learn more about how these things happen and right now, I'm searching for some good dance music, because I'm going to be celebrating! :) Thank you again! :)

8. Gektumi

And I also took the invaluable advice of Novice and deleted my CD-ROM IDEs in the Device Manager. Both lines of suggestion were brilliant.

Thank you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds