IDE HDD support for New Motherboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ankit, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Ankit

Ankit Private E-2

Hello Friends,
    I had recently bought a 250 GB IDE HDD because my motherboard didn't have any SATA port.Now what I want to know is whether new motherboards have any slot which support IDE HDD.I mean whether my IDE HDD will be supportable by new motherboards if I buy a new PC.
    For eg: Consider Inter DG31PR motherboard,will it support IDE HDD?If all motherboards don't support,can any1 provide a list of motherboards which support IDE HDD.
    Thanks

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Yes its a problme indeed as many new mobos dont have multiple IDE slots although many still do as they need to support CD/DVD drives which are still IDE in the majority of cases and as you can hook up two devices to IDE you can have one CD/DVD and one IDE HDD.

altheratives are a SATA to IDE adapter which are available like this sample

That Intel mobo you referenced does have one IDE connection.

3. Ankit

Ankit Private E-2

Thanks Halo,as you said,I conclude that only those motherboards will support IDE HDD which have CD/DVD support on IDE slot. :)

Just a doubt arose in my mind and wanted to ask.If all motherboards don't have IDE slot,then the CD/DVD drives are used with which slot on motherboards without IDE support?

4. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

You also have the option to install an ide drive PCI adapter that will allow you to put upto four drives on it. You have to have an available pci slot and if you think its a good idea you should get one before they become obsolete as well. I've used them before and they do have there compatibility problems because they use adaptec drivers to operate, but once going good, on an older system you ended up with eight possible ide drives and with the new drives with just one ide, you will still have six possible so two roms four hard drives.

Here's one that would add an extra two drives to that new motherboard that goes into PCI-e:
    Code:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158084
    And here's the older style that adds four drives with two slots for regular PCI:
    Code:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158081
    that $40 price tag is upsetting cause I bought mine 6 years ago for $25. Obviously they're ripping people off because of the new boards lack of IDE.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  5. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

this is more like it for PCI adding four drives for $20
    Code:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1070704&CatId=508

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds