IDEA: Gaming Partition, NEED MORE IDEAS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Aarrggimapirate, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Aarrggimapirate

Aarrggimapirate Private E-2

I have decided that I need a partition that is nice and clean and devoid of all that is my regular shit. I have tried to be nice and neat with my registry and my computer in general, but shit happens when you use a computer over a long period of time. There is no way (at least for me) that I can keep this as clean as a freshly formated HDD. Therefored I have decided to create a brand new partition only for games and gaming.

My Computer is:
    2x300gig Maxtor SATAs 16mb Cache
    120gig and 160 gig EIDE in a Raid-0 Array
    3700+ AMD64 s939
    DFI Ultra-D Lanparty nf4
    ATI 850xt

The ideas I have had is this :
    Create a Partition on one of my 300gigs and install Win XP
    Install Norton Antivirus 2k6, ATI Tools, Trillian, and the games I need.
    MAYBE DEEPFREEZE so I can keep the computer pristine.

I would have the dual boot menu say : Reg use, Games as the two options.

Is there anyway when I load to the game partition that I have all other partitions not shown? And would deepfreeze be the ideal program to use?

2. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

Seems like you got to stop poopin on your computer much, helps keep that stuff away!

If you want "ideal" conditions for games:

Keep drivers clean and dont install drivers on top of drivers. Defrag once or twice a month. Get smaller, faster, and larger cache hard drives. Even if you partition these mamoths the most acessed files will move the the faster portion of the disk, the slower ones lag out the disk entirely. Out source onboard hardware for pci hardware. ie: soundcard, controllers.

Dont bother dual booting, useless and frustrating and you'll probably drop it very fast.
    I dont see how deep freeze can help your setup, its a professional tool for servers; I also dont see the relevance of not showing partitions your not using.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds