ideal backup location

Discussion in 'Software' started by s13sr20chris, Jun 19, 2012.

1. s13sr20chris

s13sr20chris Private E-2

Hello All,

When new, I backed up my computer to a cd and made a boot disk. Since then I have backed it up periodically onto a 16gb usb stick. All backups are using windows backup. Is there any reason to change?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

"a 16GB USB stick" <--- one reason to change, 1 copy in 1 location = recipe for zero backups when the wotsit hits the fan.

Try 3 sticks, rotated weekly and at least one stored somewhere physically remote, preferably fireproof too, from the computer with a tested copy of the boot CD.

Have you checked that the CD boots the PC and that your recovery method actually works?

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I image (I don't backup because I store data off the computer in duplicate) to three different devices: DVDs and two different external hard drives. So I agree with satrow. Don't store everything on one device.

4. s13sr20chris

s13sr20chris Private E-2

Wow, thanks fellas. I knew I should ask that question. No, I have not tested my scheme. I think testing the boot disc should be easy. Question, won't testing my backups cause my computer to revert to a previous form (lack of a better word)? If so, I suppose I would have to back it up, change something trivial, restore it, and then examine the results.

What do you think?

Thanks,
    Chris

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds