Ideal temperature for i3 processor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by asher_friends, Jan 2, 2014.

1. asher_friends

asher_friends Private First Class

Hi Guys, this may sound noobish, but I have a simple question about the laptop temperature or specifically i3 core processor . I have a Sony Vaio Laptop E series....with the configuration:

Operating System
    Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) (build 7600)
    Install Language: English (United States)
    System Locale: English (United Kingdom)
    Installed: 23/03/2012 16:13:48
    Boot Mode: BIOS (Secure Boot not supported)

System Model:
    Sony Corporation VPCEB3L0E C606CGBN
    System Serial Number: 27531860-5002067
    Enclosure Type: Notebook

Processor:
    2.40 gigahertz Intel Core i3 M 370
    64 kilobyte primary memory cache
    256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    3072 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
    64-bit ready
    Multi-core (2 total)
    Hyper-threaded (4 total)

Main Circuit Board:
    Board: Sony Corporation VAIO
    Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
    BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. R1170Y8 01/28/2011

Drives:
    485.60 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    189.89 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
    DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device [Optical drive]
    PIONEER BD-ROM BDC-TD03 [Optical drive]

ST9500325AS [Hard drive] (500.11 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 5VEC6PTR, rev 0006SDM2, SMART Status: Healthy

Memory Modules:
    3952 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'SODIMM1' has 2048 MB
    Slot 'SODIMM2' has 2048 MB

Local Drive Volumes:
    c: (NTFS on drive 0) 485.60 GB 189.89 GB free
    Network Drives
    None discovered

I used CPUID HWMonitor Software to get the temp readings(see the file attached) and I can see that it is almost hitting 60-70'c with just four tabs of Chrome and HWmonitor software running. But the max temp it has reached is 79'c(while playing games) no more than that. I am really worried about the temperature readings as sometimes it gets too hot and laptop fan sound in bit higher than usual ...Please provide me with the ideal temperatures for i3 processor and please suggest me the best DIY cooling solutions to keep temperatures under control. Thank you geeks and Happy New Year :wave

Attached Files:

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You are fine. Laptops already run hot.

Max temp before throttling is going to be close to or over 90c for that CPU, in which case it will throttle to cool off.

My Mac Mini runs at 92c under full load.

3. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

I don't believe there is such a thing as an "ideal" temperature. Cool enough maintain stable operation, prevent excess current and minimize component aging is what you are looking for - and that would be called the "normal operating environment", or operating temperature "range". "In theory", your temperatures are fine, but I too would be concerned if my notebook temps were hitting 70°C. I don't like my temps to hit and sit above 60°C for very long as stability issues can develop.

That said, 79°C is too high, IMO. While the CPU may be able to handle that with no problems, other devices and circuits may not - at least not for long durations.

It should be noted that, in spite of what notebook marketing weenies would like us to believe, notebooks do NOT make good gaming machines or "desktop replacements".

The problem is notebook makers can pack the power inside those tiny notebook cases, but they cannot pack the cooling. Full size PC cases are challenged to keep innards cool during heaving demands (like gaming), so it is no wonder notebooks struggle - especially with gaming, which is about the most demanding task we can ask of our systems.

Plus, PC cases are designed to be opened up to expose the innards for easy cleaning of heat trapping dust drawn in by the cooling fans. Notebooks are not designed to accommodate proper cleaning even though their fans draw in, and pack in heat trapping dust and dirt as well.

I recommend you remove the battery, all drives, and all access covers and blast out the dirt from all the cavities, vents, and cracks with a suitably equipped (with a moisture and particulate filter) air compressor or can of compressed dusting gas.

I also recommend you use a Notebook Cooling Pad w/ext. power supply - at least when taxing your system. Powering the pad's fans with an external power supply (instead of through the notebook's USB port) does not increase the demands (and thus, generated heat!) on the notebook's battery and/or power circuits.

Sadly, in the interest of keeping their pads light (notebooks are primarily for "road-warriors", after all), pads with external power supplies are hard to find so you may need a notebook cooling pad like this one then use a small, lightweight USB wall-charger/adapter to power it.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

It is a laptop. 79c under full load is fine. It won't be heating up other components because that heat is almost always directed straight out of the machine.

To give you an idea of how little it affects other components, I have a 2005 Powerbook that gets so hot, you couldn't even touch it. It still runs today. I had an HP Touchsmart convertible laptop a few years ago that idled at 80c (it had cooling issues). It ran like that for three years before HP replaced it because they didn't have parts to fix the hinge in the LCD. My current HP laptop idles at 65-ish? In full games or compiling it hits 79c easy. It is 2 years old and never had a problem. The only way that cpu temp damage components is if you did it for 24/7/365.

You also have to understand that this is a 1st gen i3 CPU. They run hotter than 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gens, which in each generation run cooler.

5. Digerati

We will have to just disagree on this. 79°C is not "fine" in my book - especially if it sits at that temp for any length of time. It may not technically be considered "HOT", but it is far from ideal. And I wish CPU heat was directed straight out the machine. While most heat may be exhausted out, not all is. And of course, not all notebook cooling is created equal either.

Also, if the CPU is being pushed to those high temps, you should assume the rest of the computer is too. And those devices may not have a cooling fan blasting on them. Heat does not affect just the CPU.

We can all cite a couple examples, but that does not mean those examples represent or apply across the industry.

??? Not even. Damage from heat (that is not immediately destructive) is like damage to your hearing from loud noises. It is accumulative - whether minutes or hours. That is, heat ages electronics. The aging does not reverse when the heat is removed.

Of course with notebooks, this is a mobile CPU so thermal management coding will force it to toggle down in speed (and performance and heat generation) well before actual CPU damage occurs (in theory, anyway). And that threshold is likely well into the 120°Cs (based on TJMax of 105°C for the i3).

Your choice asher_friends, but I sure would not be complacent if my CPU temps hit 79°C. So again, I recommend a good cleaning and a cooling pad.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I just gave you real world examples of how the heat did not affect the other components, and there are many more across the Internet. Your choice to disagree, but I don't see you bringing anything to the table other than your lack of experience with laptop temperatures. They will easily run 10-20c higher than their desktop counterparts.

A cleaning is always advisable, but this is not a temperature to worry or panic about, especially under full load.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2014
  7. Digerati

Wow! Spew personal insults when you disagree. Nice attitude for a moderator. Really sad. :(

You gave anecdotal evidence and then expect it to universally apply - and be accepted as the Gospel, apparently simply because "YOU" say so. rolleyes

And for the record, I never said anything about panicking. In fact, I said it was not technically hot, just too high.

@asher_friends - again, it's your choice. Be complacent about 79°C and ignore it, or not.

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

No personal insults. It is reality, unless you like to prove otherwise? I am getting a little sick and tired of you downplaying what I say in the hardware forum. This would be the second time you have tried it. Conversation is over, PM me if you want to discuss it further.

9. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I've deleted the last three posts. I've left the rest of your arguments up, but at this point, the thread has gone off track which is not fair to the OP.

To everyone....Please keep any further discussion in relation to the question. Thank you in advance.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds