Ideal Way to Partition a Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Software' started by fightingcocksamon, Sep 3, 2008.

1. fightingcocksamon

fightingcocksamon Private E-2

Hello

I am looking for the ideal way to partition my machines Hard Drives so as to minimize down time and data loss during a reformat. :confused

Any suggestions most welcome.

Thanks. ;)

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I don't partition my hard drives unless I install another OS. Instead of reformatting have you considered imaging?
    I create an image every few weeks and if the computer acts up, I restore using the image. It saves time and I do not have to install all the windows updates nor reinstall all my programs and then spend time updating my AV and anti-malware programs.

3. fightingcocksamon

fightingcocksamon Private E-2

Yes Ive have considered imaging and am busy looking in to it.
    Can you recomend a good (free ware) imaging software program?
    Thanks

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

No, sorry. I use a paid program, it was offered for free at the beginning of this year so I grabbed a copy then, Acronis True Image v8. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles but since I run windows 2000, I don't need the latest version.

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Well, this is an ideal setup for me. XP resides on a smallish 20GB space and I install all apps that I can to drive D: and I save everything that I can to drive E:. I do not run any MS apps so the 20GB is big enough for me so if you run Office etc. the partition will have to be larger.I'm just in the process of partitioning a 640GB drive on my new system and getting ready to populate it, I sure as heck would hate to image all that, even with Blu-Ray or worse, regular DVD's!:eek

6. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

7. Mustang27

Mustang27 Private E-2

I have Acronis True Image Enterprise 8. I am looking to build another server (B), using the image from Original Server (A). Right now B is a bare metal machine. Both are same make and model. B has 250 SATA HDDs and 4GB memory. A has 2GB and 80 GB SATA HDDs

I am new to this forum. I am not aware how to get to your reply. My email is babuads@gmail.com.

Thanks,
    Bob

8. peterpan8

peterpan8 Private E-2

If you have either a Seagate or Maxtor hard drive in your computer (or in an external enclosure), you can download Seagate DiskWizard or Maxtor MaxBlast, respectively, to create images of your drive. These are free, and are "Powered by Acronis". I have Acronis True Image 8.0 and Seagate Disk wizard installed on my laptop, and for backing up to/restoring from an external USB drive, they both work almost identically. Great for restoring to a known clean state in about 10-15 minutes.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds