Identify Vid Card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sh@dow, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Sh@dow

Sh@dow Private E-2

sup all,

I've just purchased a 7950 GT 256MB amongst other things (part of an upgrade). What striked me is that if you look at the card itself you cannot see any serious coding printed INTO the board itself from which you could tell what it is. ie. they didnt just sell me an overclocked 7900GS....

Dont get me wrong, the board is flooded with stickers saying that it is a 7950 GT 256MB but it's not that hard to put those on.

I havent put the hardware together, but would like to know if anyone can "read" any serial numbers and tell me what I have.

Once the card is installed I guess I can run CMD and do the DEBUG identifier but that's software based - again something that can be manipulated with.

Geez I sound like a paranoid bastardo, but I am merely curious :)

2. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?cid=3&id=2053

Regards..

3. Sh@dow

Sh@dow Private E-2

n1!

those pics tell the story. I've confirmed that the PCB has the right features.

Once installed I'll check the bios too.

Many thanks

4. sleepygamer213

sleepygamer213 First Sergeant

Or you can do it my way! Take the GPU cooler off, clean the thermal paste off and read what is laser etched into the chip. Of course I only did this because I have nothing better to do. Besides build other computers that is.

Oh and Everest is a good program at identifying PC info.

5. Sh@dow

Sh@dow Private E-2

Im a little less daring like you when it comes to pulling these things apart, however if one day I might give that a go too :)

6. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Can you post the manufacturer information,eg. BFG,ASUS,XFX, and the other info on the board,the manufactures site will probably have a picture of the card you can compare,often a manufacturer will sell one type of core\board of the 7900 range for example,do you have the box or was it from EBAY ect:confused:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds