IE 6.0 cannot open multiple windows

Discussion in 'Software' started by colkid, Jun 15, 2004.

1. colkid

colkid Private E-2

I used to be able to have many(15-20), IE 6 windows open. Now just one will open. I've looked on Microsoft,majorgeeks and cannot find the answer.
    When I try to open a second IE window it takes the current one that is already open. I have IE version 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.0304422-16331C 128bit
    Updates SP1:Q837009; Q832894; Q831167 based on NC5a Mosaic from University of Ilinois.
    I think this should be easy but. Reloading IE is not easy.
    thank you,.
    ernie @ epowell42@yahoo.com

2. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

A couple things you can try:

Empty your Temporary Internet Files

Internet Options > Advanced > Uncheck 'Reuse windows for launching shortcuts'

3. colkid

colkid Private E-2

Alanc,
    Thank you for your input. I tried both and it didn't fix the problem. I have rebooted,so I
    am still stumped.

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

are you sure the explorer windows aren't being grouped in the task bar?

5. kkj

kkj Private E-2

Just last week I heard a caller on a radio tech show describe the EXACT same problem. Were you on the radio, colkid?

If it wasn't you, then maybe this is the beginning of a trend....

The suggestions they offered on the radio were:

1. disable any pop-up blocker programs

2. make sure the desktop shortcuts and Start Menu shortcuts are pointing to the correct location.

It was Leo Laporte's show on KFI in Los Angeles. Maybe if you find Leo's website or the show's chatroom, then maybe you could find more ideas.

Oh! here you go... I just found a link to his show notes...
    http://leo.typepad.com/radio/

best of luck!!!
    -Kelly
    http://kellyjones.netfirms.com/

6. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

First of all go to windows update and make sure you are up to date--then try a IE repair.
    go to Run/Settings/ControlPanel/Add/remove/scroll down to and hilite Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and Internet Tools/btm corner click on Add/Remove/then Repair Internet Explorer/follow instructions yes wait till it's finished hit apply and reboot

7. colkid

colkid Private E-2

It's fixed. I hope I know what fixed it??
    I tried/checked everything suggested,except I could not find "repair" in "windows software,
    Install/Remove.
    I did not call the radio program, windows were not loading straight into the taskbar.
    I found several procedures to goto on @ Microsoft.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=318378
    1. I did this procedure and was able to reload IE 6 sp1, later on I again went back and did
    "Tools/internet options/advanced/uncheck "Reuse window for launching shortcuts"
    Clear? (as mud) Now I can open multiple IE programs.
    thank you all for you help.
    colkid

8. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds