ie 7 cannot change homepage

Discussion in 'Software' started by Destructo, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Destructo

Destructo Corporal

Just bought a new laptop. only out of the box less than 12 hours. I have done all of windows updates. Its an HP. Its homepage is http://hp-laptop.aol.com/ and Explorer 7 is being a big pain in the crappy browser pants.

I go into tools, change it to www.majorgeeks.com (of course) hit apply, and ive done ok too, exit out and, nope, its still the other page, geeks isnt even listed!

Ive tried to edit it using the nifty new little toolbar button too but to no unveil. I can ADD majorgeeks and get it as the "2nd" tab but I cannot remove the hp crap.

AND when I do try to delete the hp link through the tool bar it DELETES the major geeks one instead! Spyware anyone?

So any ideas how to remove without having to pull out hijack this? Maybe this should be in the malware section?
    Thanks for all the help
    Destructo

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Do you still have the default Norton installed?

if so it has Home Page Protection built in and needs disabling to allow you access to change the home page, similar happens if you have Spybot S&D and others installed they protect your Home Page from change.

If Norton still installed follow the Home page cannot be changed bit.......

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...ct=18703&dlc=en&printable=yes&encodeUrl=true&

3. Destructo

Destructo Corporal

Thanks Halo that was exactly the problem.

As I started uninstalling it and clearing windows off the desktop I discovered the norton homepage alert just hangin out, without a indicator on my taskbar. Nice. Well enough of that and never again!!!!

Thank you once again!
    Destructo

oh, and yes, by uninstalling the p.o.s. I also fixed a couple of other problems that I was having. No wonder tech support squads flourish.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Glad its sorted, just goes to show every problem is not caused my MSFT :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds