IE and Firefox can't access NASA websites

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Marshaz, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Marshaz

Marshaz Private E-2

Hi MG's, don't know whats going on here but for some reason I keep getting Server not Found message when I try to go to the NASA site. I used to go there regularly up until a few months back and have decided to go back and see what's new but I just can't get in. It appears to be only a problem with NASA sites not just the NASA home page. Have even tried going through links from other websites with no joy. I can surf quite happily apart from this one glitch and it's now doing my head in. Any ideas would be gratefully recieved. Thanks in advance.:(

2. pari22

pari22 Corporal

If you're talking about "nasa.gov", they are up and running...
    Maybe you're looking for some other sites like NASA's blog group page...?
    If that's not the case, are you having trouble with any other sites other than nasa.gov?

3. GCL

GCL Private E-2

MS caches IP addys for faster browsing (dns resolver cache). The problem is sometimes the addys get corrupted. Two things you can do:

1) In the control panel > network connections, do a repair on the connection you use.

-or-

2) Open a command prompt and type in:

ipconfig /flushdns

This should fix you up if you get no errors. If there is an error it usually indicates you have a service turned off. I have run into this before and I think it is the service DNS Client.

4. Marshaz

Marshaz Private E-2

Hi Guys and thanks for getting back to me. pari22, it is only NASA.gov sites i'm having trouble with, everything else is fine. GCL tried your first suggestion and got a message to say could not clear DNS cache. Could you explain the command prompt for me. Have tried C:\ipconfig/flushdns but am getting error. Never done command prompts before but i am assuming i am missing something from the command line. Thanks to both of you.

5. Marshaz

Marshaz Private E-2

Hi Guys, just a follow up to my original post. Having looked through other forums i came across a similar problem to mine and learned about a web based proxy called proxify so gave it a try. Using proxify i have no probs accessing the NASA sites and i am quite happy to do this. Thanks for the help but please feel free to consider my problem resolved and don't waste any more time on it. Others need you more.;)

6. GCL

GCL Private E-2

The repair tried to initiate the command but you get the error. Like I said, I have seen this before and the time that I seen it was because a service was turned off. I think it is the service "DNS Client." You will have to turn that back on to use the repair or the ipconfig command.

7. Marshaz

Marshaz Private E-2

Thanks GCL, I will try that but if I can get to the site through the proxy I can live with it. All advice much appreciated.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds