IE/Firefox & 100% cpu usage slowdown when downloading, streaming, etc.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phalanx114, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Phalanx114

Phalanx114 Private E-2

Hey all -

A problem that I have been having for quite some time now is that whenever I download something, or stream video, or open any website, my computer lags like crazy until the action is completed/buffered/downloaded.

My cpu jumps to 100%, and every single program I use lags or freezes up - For example, if I try to listen to music while surfing the 'net, Windows Media Player will stutter horribly (from the 100% cpu being used by IE no doubt.)

Why does changing websites or downloading something take up 100% of my cpu?

I have tried running several anti-spyware programs, and trying another browser (Firefox) but the horrible lagging still occurs.

How is it that a dual-core machine lags when surfing the internet of all things?

Any help would be most appreciated.

-Phalanx114

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

First thing I would do is run through the following procedures -

Basic computer maintenance everyone should do
    You don't say what OS you are using so use the appropriate link -
    Windows XP x86 (32-bit) Service Pack 3 Service Configurations
    Windows Vista Super Tweaks

If you are still having problems, try booting into Safe Mode with Networking and see if the problem remains.
    If it does, you might have a software conflict, software updater or malware.
    You can also try downloading Process Explorer to see what specific item is using the CPU resources.

If you still have a problem, post back with specific comp, OS and network connection information and someone can take a look from there.
    Hope this helps.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds