IE loading animation jacked

Discussion in 'Software' started by SWario, Jun 21, 2006.

1. SWario

SWario Sergeant

Wasn't sure if this was a software or malware question, but I usually post in this forum, so I figured I would start here.

So I was helping my older brother set up his cable Internet connection, but his machine is really old (running Windows 98 SE), so I was using my laptop to make sure that the connection really was working. Comcast wouldn't let me view any websites but their own "setup site" until I had run their set up CD (I assume it sets some registry keys or sends some signal verifying that it had been run before they allow you to surf the web). Now, as a result of running that setup CD, the little waving Microsoft flag in the upper right corner of IE has been replaced by the Comcast "C" logo. I uninstalled their "support package" through Add/Remove programs, but the logo remained. I found the entries in the registry that point to the image files for the logo, but I have no idea where the old logo images are! Is there any way to restore the original animation?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Not a malware question so moved to software... not really a proud achievement to have to be posting in the malware forum all the time tho ;)

How to change from the branded to the original IE "Throbber"
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=176713

their are many other ways and some software that will help you do this also.. IIRC the TweakUI powertool for XP does this http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=710 ( dont have it on my work PC to check tho... but I'm 99% convinced it does ) and also lets you use custom ones too.

3. SWario

SWario Sergeant

Haha. Most of the malwayre/spyware problems I post in the Malware Forum aren't problems with my computer, but with others' computers. I am often asked by friends and family to fix their computers, but I don't always have the knowledge of how to fix some more complicated malware/spyware problems. :eek:

4. SWario

SWario Sergeant

That Microsoft solution helped a lot! There were a couple details not mentioned in the Microsoft solution for my case though:

In the same registry folder, I also had to clear the string values for the keys "BigBitmap" and "SmallBitmap". Also, to observe the changes, all I had to do was open up a new IE window. It is probably a good idea to have no IE windows open when making these changes. Thanks for the solution!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds