IE not configured properly

Discussion in 'Software' started by drgnrider, Jun 2, 2007.

1. drgnrider

drgnrider Private E-2

I am trying to get my mother-in-laws’ (MIL) computer to access the internet. Java and Norton Internet Security are both able to access the internet to look for updates; I am using my laptop on her network connection.

Internet connection is working but looks like IE has somehow been configured to not access the internet. MIL states that some kid was the last to use it and it hasn’t worked since.

Broadband connection:
    100.0 Mbps
    IP address and subnet mask are assigned by DHCP

IE settings:
    IE: 6.0.2900.2180 SP2
    Cipher: 128-bit
    IP is given via the ISP’s DHCP.
    Automatically detect settings

LAN connection:

System info:
    WIN-XP Home, v.2002, SP2
    eMachine T3104
    AMD Sempron 3100+
    1.8 GHz
    192 MB RAM

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

You might try this and see if it helps. http://www.majorgeeks.com/IEFix_d4467.html
    You might also want to do some malware scans, if some kid was on it last. Not really enough info to say much else. You can always uninstall it and re install as a last resort

3. drgnrider

drgnrider Private E-2

Ran IEFix. Installed and updated AVG, (now on 7.5). Ran, only found one trogon. Installed and ran Ad-Aware. Re-installed IE, still nothing.

4. drgnrider

drgnrider Private E-2

More info - Have been told that the last kid to use it said he "turned off the internet becuase the machine was full of viruses."
    Found ONE after running AVG so not sure what he was talking about there and not sure what he did to "turn off" IE... ideas?

5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Automatically detect setting should be left unticked for IE to work
    Also make sure the pc is not set to dial default provider.

Studio T

6. drgnrider

drgnrider Private E-2

Found it!!! Apparently the kid turned IE off in a secondary firewall program. Just uninstalled it and left Windows Firewall.

7. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Persistance pays off. Well done. Thanks for letting us know.

Studio T

8. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Darn kids.;) Glad you got it going again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds