IE not opening & Task Bar Freezing - HELP

Discussion in 'Software' started by beckylousiana, Jul 10, 2008.

1. beckylousiana

beckylousiana Private E-2

i am trying to get this posted before I leave for work, but I will be pasting some information from another online support forum to help bring it up to date. I have run some programs suggested, and have reports, but thought a Fresh New Forum with a Fresh New Perspective could possibly help. It doesn't appear to the Tech in the other Forum that there is any Malware, so I decided to put it in this forum.
    Thanx for any Advice!! See Below, beginning June 26/27 thru last night:

ME(My First): (Edited by the TECH and he left out some of his posts and requested Logs):

I have tried to read thru all the posts instead of starting a new thread, but I probably need to just post my HiJack This Log and get individual advice. My Desktop has changed, My Homepage will not stay where I set it, My IE will not always come up, I have to go to my QuickLaunch Icon and Run As to get it up. Also freezes up. I have Panda Antivirus & Firewall 2008 - 7.00.00 but I have tried running Active Scan, and have had many dirrerent outcomes, but none have finished. They just stall somewhere, and I end up closing them out.
    Any Advice would be Greatly Appreciated. I may not be able to get back on to check for a couple of hours.
    Here is my HiJack Log:

Note: This started happening a few months ago. I am really not sure, because I don’t use this computer for much, and usually only short periods, as I have a LapTop. I knew that there was a little glitch as it was only doing it sporadically

Note: The only Major Programs that I can "remember" that was installed around or preceding this issue are:
    TurboTax 2007.
    Limewire (uninstalled)

? ? Is there anyway I can go through Programs installed and see when they were installed so that I can make sure?

Note: Following the 5 Steps before posting, I did Un-install some programs in AddRemovePrograms, but I still see some of them in my Programs Folder in Explore??

Soulseek ( on this computer for a while but not used in a VERY long time)
    Poker Stars.net (on this computer for several months, used twice)

Should I just delete their Folders out of Programs Folder?

Note: My computer Time is not correct. I just posted the previous message and it states that I posted it at 5:30 AM and it should read 7:35 AM CST. But the Clock on my Computer says 6:56 AM. ?????
    Just thought that may help.
    Thanx for your help, Maybe I am in the wrong Forum if it is not Malware?? What could it be and where would I go?

I also see that apparently Combo Fix was run in January, without professional guidance. or instruction. I need to stop trying to fix things myself, continue to donate when I can and utilize all of you who know what they are doing..... :(
    Apparently there was little something was wrong at that time, but has gotten progressively worse?
    I am including the Log from it just in case you can use it.

ComboFix 08-01-17.1 - Becky Lacock 2008-01-16 16:12:44.1 - NTFSx86

That worked fine to get System Restore to run, but it keeps telling me that it cannot restore to any point that I pick. Should I keep trying, or is this a sympton of something wrong with System Restore Program?

Panda was installed immediately after getting this new computer, and immediately after I got the new Hard Drive, because the first one failed, about 1 1/2 years ago.
    I have not tried it in Safe Mode, but will do so and letchuno!

>It has not froze up, but that is always sporadic anyway

I will be at work most of the morning, but if you happen to get back, and give me instructions, I may be coming home to let my puppies out around Noon and I will check then.
    Thanx!

TECH:

None of the scans that we've done have found any malware, so that brings us back to Operating System issues. Since you are apprehensive to perform a Repair install, try invoking Windows File Protection.

Click Start>Run and type in sfc /scannow (there is a space between sfc and /) and let it scan for missing/corrupt files. This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem. If it finds any problems, it will prompt you for the Windows XP Install disc so have it handy.

ME:
    I left the computer running with the Disk in, and came back with nothing on it but the desktop. I didn't have any messages or anything. I am still experiencing the problem with opening my browser. I can open a website with clicking on My Documents, then just typing the website in the address bar. I never have a problem then, and the Task bar is still sporadic in operation.
    If I need to change Forums, please let me know.
    thanx!

TECH:
    Time to speak to the folks in Windows XP. I'm hesitant to move the entire thread as it's a lot for someone to go through.

I'll copy over the pertinent posts to the Windows XP forum. (original thread in HJT forum)

For the benefit of those that read this....
    • No malware has been found.
    • sfc /scannow has been done, nothing found.
    • Repair Install was suggested

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Hello Becky, welcome for your first post.

Instead of giving us a long list of what you don't have wrong with your pc,

How about a basic description of the pc itself and your operating sytem XPpro?, media centre? Home? service packs?

Do you have Zone Alarm?

Then as complete a description of the problem as you can.
    Do it always/only happen with certain websites?
    Does it happen straight away or can you use IE for a while before?

That sort of thing.

How full is your hard drive?

3. cyberbobnow

cyberbobnow Private E-2

I have the similar problem with windows xp cpu usage to 100 /dell laptop running very slow on emails and start-ups ,, one day ago I had a trojan bug but the systems says that it is all gone ..

Can any one help with this problem please...

4. beckylousiana

Very Excited for the Quick Reply!!

Sorry for the quick / crazy Post this morning before I went to work, I am on lunch now, I just didn't have time to go through all of it and edit any more, i just copied and pasted from the other forum, and wanted to get this checked/fixed before something damages my PC.

Dell Tower
    Windows XP professional SP 2

Always happens, sometimes right away, sometimes after a few minutes.
    Prob is with IE opening at all, never a problem with websites except the search issues mentioned in my posts.
    I don't have Zone Alarm

5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

6. beckylousiana

I updated IE last night, and left computer on All Night, and this morning it is acting PERFECTLY G-R-E-A-T!! My Computer time is correct and Everything is Wonderful! THANX!!!! THANX!!!! THANX!!!!!!
    I am donating $20 immediately!
    I really felt it was probably something simple, and did NOT want to do the System repair unless it was absolutely necessary. Isn't that a Boogar to do?
    In the other Tech Forum, It was suggested I do a system restore, and I couldn't. It kept restarting and giving me the error message that it "Could not restore, and no changes were made to my system" even though I have several Dates in Bold, and kept choosing different dates weeks from each other. The other Tech said it was corrupted. I would like to get that working, as I really might need it one day.
    Can you help with that, or should I start a New Post?
    THANX AGAIN!!!!!

7. cyberbobnow

cyberbobnow Private E-2

;)I am so Glad that your problem with your PC is almost fix..
    Keep up the good work Becky....
    chao for now.

8. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Have you tested if system restore works now after the visit to Microsoft Update? It sounds as if Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool did come in handy in your case. Microsoft Update always runs this program. :)

9. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Here is a screenshot of the tool that probably helped you. It would be interesting to know if your system restore actually works now after this tool's been used.

10. beckylousiana

I did a System Restore from 3 days ago, (I was scared to do one before my update of IE) and Everything Went Great! I am so amazed and Happy! Thank you! I will be trying to get my Laptop operating correctly, and start a New Thread, as there are several things CooCoo with it.
    THANXSOMUCH!!!!!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds