IE only works in safe mode, but can connect to games online in normal mode

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dbaur, Dec 16, 2008.

1. dbaur

dbaur Private E-2

When i enter windows in normal mode it will not let me connect to the internet explorer. But i do play an online game called World of Warcraft and it has no problem connecting me in game to the servers. Then i can enter windows under safe mode with networking and the internet explorer works fine. I went through all the steps of malware cleansing and will attach a hijacking log that i had scanned. Was just wondering what was keeping me from the internet explorer on regular windows.

Attached Files:

2. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

could be some addons on IE. try IE without addons or another browser. also make sure your firewall is off when troubleshooting.

3. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

4. Tweetytoo

Tweetytoo Private E-2

I am having the same problem. OS is XP w/SP3 and IE8. Was working fine when we went to bed, when we got up it wouldn't connect. Was not shut down during the night either. Have tried everything I can think of including coping the inf files from my laptop that works to disk and then to desktop that has the problem. Have uninstalled and reinstalled IE8 as well. ran super spyware remover first thing and it found and removed several but it still did not solve the problem. been working on this for two days now. Please help...

5. Tweetytoo

Tweetytoo Private E-2

Check this site...http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956196

This is the step that I believe applies...it is what worked with mine.

Method 4: Check whether a third-party service is conflicting with Internet Explorer
    To check whether a third-party service is conflicting with Internet Explorer, follow these steps:
    Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.
    Click the Services tab, disable all non-Microsoft services, and then click OK.
    Restart the computer, and test Internet Explorer.
    Depending on the result that you receive in step 3, go to the "The connection works" section or to the "The connection still does not work" section.
    The connection works
    If the connection works, a third-party service may be conflicting with Internet Explorer. To identify the conflicting service, follow these steps:
    Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.
    Click the Services tab.
    Click to select half of the listed items, and then click OK.
    Restart the computer.
    Test Internet Explorer.
    Repeat steps 1 through 5 until you identify the service that is conflicting with Internet Explorer.
    If you are not using the conflicting service, we recommend that you remove it, or configure it not to start when the computer starts.Collapse this tableExpand this tableNote You may have to contact the developer of the service for information about how to remove it or to configure it not to start. See the "More information" section for contact information.

Good Luck

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds