IE Opens Very Slowly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by depawl, Apr 3, 2008.

1. depawl

depawl Private E-2

This is a Dell Dimension 3000 running XP Home SP2 with broadband (Time Warner cable) internet. After a restart of the computer, when opening IE for the first time, it opens very slowly. It takes about half a minute for the Home Page to open. I tried changing the home page and it made no difference. Once the home page loads, browsing is fine. All other pages load very quickly and if I close and reopen IE, the home page will then also load very quickly. It's only after starting the computer and opening IE for the first time that the problem exists. I have ran thorough virus/spyware cleaning (as per the mg spyware forum) and all scans currently come back clean.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

If you start IE in the begining of OS loading you will expirience something that I call "delayed start",cos when OS is loading you will have to wait for FIREWALL to load and to check Internet connection.You will have to wait about 1 minute.Same here with me,so the cure is like Studiot once said to me "Just laid back ,and let the computer do his job".

3. depawl

depawl Private E-2

Goran:
    Even if I let the computer sit for a full 5 minutes after boot up, I still experience this problem.
    thanks

4. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

are you on ie7? ie 7 takes alot longer to load up (not sure if it's the security features, or all the add on's? you could always try it w/o the add on's. - sos

5. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

Do you have any toolbars installed for IE? If yes,uninstall all of them, and see what's happen.Post what you have done.
    Can you post Hijack this log? I want to see something.

6. depawl

depawl Private E-2

Don't have any toolbars installed. Have tried to boot w/o addons, seems to be a bit better but still seems to take too long to open. Will post an HJT log tomorrow.

7. IH8GWB

IH8GWB Private E-2

tryed firefox?

8. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

what is your homepage? what version of ie do you have (ie7?)? on my study comp - start --> all programs --> accessories --> system tools --> ie7 (no add-ons). or it says to right click the ie7 icon on the desktop, and start it with no add-ons. - sos

9. depawl

depawl Private E-2

Resetting IE (Tools|Internet Options|Advanced|Reset) corrected the problem.
    Thanks for the input.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds