IE proxy server timeout in Windows 2000

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ejbSF, May 19, 2005.

1. ejbSF

ejbSF Private E-2

I have a new-to-me Windows 2000 sp4 machine with IE having trouble connecting to a DSL line. All tests indicate the DSL connection is solid after boot. When IE is loaded, however, a message appears at the bottom of IE saying "Detecting proxy server...". Then, after many many seconds, IE will EITHER find what it's looking for and all web queries work, OR display the "connection not found" message and no net access is available.

This behavior affects Outlook or any other net-accessing software besides IE. If IE can detect the Proxy Server (or whatever it's looking for) then everything works fine. If it can't, then nothing works.

There is no chance that this is caused by spyware or viruses: the machine was meticulously maintained before I got it and thoroughly checked and scrubbed with many different antivirus and antispyware tools before hooking it up. There's no chance the DSL is the problem: I've used it with an older Win 98 system for several years..

I have checked the IE connection settings and there is nothing out of the ordinary. Selecting the "usa a proxy server" or deselecting it makes no difference.

The only clue I have is, the computer was part of a small workgroup/hubbed network before I got it. Is there some setting there that is causing this?

Any and all help is much appreciated!
    Ed

2. djlowe

djlowe Private First Class

Try a different Web browser, to see if the problem is IE-related. If you install Firefox, for example, and it works, then a reinstallation of IE may be in order.

It's been awhile since I had to reinstall IE, but if you can get the full version of it from Microsoft's site, you can try do do a repair installation, I think.

dj

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds