IE stops working

Discussion in 'Software' started by zugzug, Nov 7, 2008.

1. zugzug

zugzug Private E-2

my internet explorer keeps on dying on me after about 5 minutes. I am running IE7 when it started but I did the IE8 Beta just to see if that would change things but to no avail it didn't work. I also have firefox on my computer and i tried that also, Its like the connection to the net just stops working and then i have to restart the computer just to get back online again.

i am running XP if that helps. and i have tried a few adware/malware scanners and also my anti virus program and nothing showed up.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

How do you connect to the internet?
    When id this start happening?
    Is it possible to pick a restore point and running the computer in a time before the 5 minute cut off?

3. zugzug

zugzug Private E-2

i connect by broadband wireless (my connection is strong)
    It started to happen like around a week and a half ago.
    I have tried to go to an earlier restore point but it wont let me go before Oct. and the ones in Oct. won't let me restore from them.

4. plodr

What error do you get when you try and restore? Something else is wrong if you can't use a restore point.

5. zugzug

zugzug Private E-2

It says , Restoration Incomplete. your computer cannot be restored to: (the date I picked) and then there is No changes have been made to your computer...

By the way I am running a Dell 4600 series if that helps out.

6. plodr

Try using a restore point by booting into safe mode.

Are you running Norton 2008?
    additional troubleshooting: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q302796/

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  7. zugzug

zugzug Private E-2

I tried restoring in safe mode and nope it didnt work
    i am not running Norton. I will try that link that was put in

8. zugzug

zugzug Private E-2

I didnt do this to bump anything up but I have tried two different tests and it still gets stuck after 5 mins or so. What I did was I disabled my Network card and installed another one but nope it wasnt the the card,The second thing i did was to install another harddrive thinking that could be the problem but that didnt work either. I am stumped...

9. plodr

Check the settings in the router to see that the DHCP lease is good for 24 hours.

Move your computer closer to the router for a while and see if you still get the 5 minute disconnect. It is possible that something between you and the router is causing the signal to drop, even if it is strong.

10. zugzug

zugzug Private E-2

I checked the lease for my DHCP and it is good for 24 hours, I also wired straight into my computer without the router and I still get the same thing. Could be a problem with my system instead of my hardware? If so what would be the way to check that out?

11. zugzug

zugzug Private E-2

I fixed this problem by reinstalling windows it was the only thing that I could think of .
    Thanks for your help with this plodr. I am glad to be a part of this forum

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds