IE10 Update for Windows 7 (64-Bit) Issues

Discussion in 'Software' started by amplitudewave, Apr 2, 2013.

1. amplitudewave

amplitudewave Private E-2

Has anyone experienced any issues after installing the IE10 update for Windows 7 (64-bit)? If you have, what did you do to resolve these issues?
    The reason I ask is that, in Feb, I installed Windows "Platform Upgrade" (KB2670838) labled Important. Unfortunately, this update corrupted My Windows 7 OS: could not play flash videos with IE9, web pages viewed with IE9 were corrupt, colors in games were off, and could not down load files with IE9. Firefox and Chrome functionality was not affected in anyway.
    When IE-10 became available in March, I updated thinking it would fix my issuses with IE-9. It did not. So I ran every manual fix and test suggested at support.microsoft.com for fixing/repairing IE. Nothing there helped. I then ran the free versions of both Advanced System Care and Tweaking.Com IE repair. This helped in that now Web pages are not corrupt, but still can't play Flash Video or down load files with IE10. So, after reading of similar experiences of people on the web (answers. microsoft.com), their only solution was to uninstall KB2670838 until Microsoft came up with a fix. I uninstalled the KB2670838 update and this action also automatically uninstalled IE10 and reverted me back to IE9. But, unlike the others on the web, I still had all the same original problems mentioned above with IE9. Although games work OK now and FireFox and Chrome work fine. Not sure what to do next since this hardware is several years old now and probably not suitable for Window 8 and I am not sure if Microsoft has acknowledged that they have a problem with the KB2670838 update or when a fix will be available, if ever (only change so far has been to change KB2670838 from Important to Optional).
    I already know some of my issues could be hardware related in that I have a rather small SSD C: drive (64GB) with little free space (In fact, if these problems did not occur, I was thinking of upgrading it to either 128 or 256GB.) For the record, the other HD is 1T. Everything, I have control over, is loaded on this larger drive.
    Any suggestions would be appriciated.

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Have uninstalled at least three times since it came out because it was annoying as all unholy creation.

Couldn't run Netflix without crashing, or locking up the first time out I installed it. I just tried it again as of Sunday, and fingers crossed, so far, so good.

Maybe fourth time is the charm...

3. amplitudewave

Thanks for the input. Noticed that IE10 was available today on my system as an optional update. Might just give it a try as a single update from Windows Update server than the two step proces I had followed before of upgrading KB2670838 from the Windows Update and IE10 from some other Microsoft server.

4. yamman

yamman Private E-2

Hmmmmmmmm not I would bother, I had this as as tandalone update and when I tried to use it all it did was show me a white page and go round in circles for ages, uninstalled the update there and then, win 7 decided to reload ie9 for me, good of it as I could not have cared less tbh, and when I ran it for a giggle it seemed to find my home page ok. But I tend not to us IE as I find it unreliable, mostly use firefox with no hassles

However its a free world and I would be interested to see how u fare with it should you opt to d/l it:)

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I have it hidden. Once I hear the bugs are fixed for Win 7, I might consider installing it.

6. amplitudewave

Good points, both Firefox and Chrome still work fine. Since I can live with out IE, will wait until I hear of a fix or wait a few months rather than trying to fix a problem that probably can't be fixed at this time.

7. black2pearl

black2pearl Private E-2

Can you please let me know if DevDiv953277 fix for resolving the posting back issue with IE10 is safer to install?
    Microsoft itself does not recommend to install this and wants users to wait for the next IE10 update.

Please let me know if you have tried installing the fix, or are you aware of when is the IE 10 update going to be released. (Got no response in microsoft forum for this.)

8. amplitudewave

Sorry, can not help as I am not aware of this fix or the issue you decribed. On my system the problem was that I could not run Abobe Flash video using IE9 or IE10, or install some third party software, after installing the Windows update described in my original post. Microsoft has since sent out a correction to their original update, and my system is now working correctly or at least I think it is opperating correctly. I have not reinstalled IE10 and am still using IE9. I am not planning to update to IE10 until after I frist replace my C: drive with another larger SSD drive in the next few days, as my current C: drive has limited free space.

9. amplitudewave

Let me correct my previous post by saying, IE9 now works correclly in that it allows me to now play Flash videos again, but I still can not down load thrid party software. For that I must use either FireFox or Chrome. Still waiting for the Microsoft correction for that issue.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds