IE11 Compatibility Issues

Discussion in 'Software' started by gman863, Feb 15, 2014.

1. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

This is a "heads up" for anyone using IE11. Even though it's been out for the better part of a year, there are still major websites that hang up when you attempt to switch to a secure connection by entering a password to access an online account.

I first ran into this with Citibank about a week ago. When I finally called Citi their first question was "What browser are you using?" When I said "IE11", the customer service rep sighed and said this is a common issue signing on to secure sites. When I attempted to sign in again using Firefox, the problems disappeared.

The second was healthcare.gov (a.k.a. "Obamacare"). Using IE11, I was able to set up my account. When I tried to sign into it, however, I got a message of "authentication in progress" for five minutes followed by a blank white screen. Remembering the Citibank issue from a few days earlier, I switched to Firefox and was immediately able to access my account and finish signing up.

It's annoying that sites like this don't post warnings about IE11 compatibility problems. In the mean time, I hope this info. helps anyone having problems trying to log into secure sites using IE11.

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

This is an ironic situation.

Newer browsers are more secure, but banks and healthcare institutions are not writing code or script that is up to date enough to work with these more secure browsers. Their solution? Use a less secure method of accessing our services.

Some places are worse than others. Wells Fargo required me to downgrade to IE9 to work properly with part of their business services online.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

It is also funny that what was one of the most lenient browsers when it comes to web standards has now become one of the more strict ones ;)

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

5. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

It's especially ironic that the healthcare.gov website doesn't have a warning about this. I read a news story about the "problems" people were having signing up for healthcare. Being able to log in to their accounts was at the top of the list. IE11? Hmmmm...

The healthcare.gov website gives people link options to sign up for an e-mail account if they don't already have one (Outlook, GMail, etc.). Maybe they should have a link for downloading Firefox, too.

6. oma

oma MajorGeek

Darn! I updated to IE11, tried it out and youtube wouldn't work. So I uninstalled it and thus have now IE10 and did hide the IE11 update when it presented itself again. Of course Firefox and Pale Moon are my favorite browsers. Guess I won't use IE10 until an update will be provided by Microsoft.

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

YouTube works for me. See if you can set youtube to use html5 when possible.

8. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

I am using IE11 and tried youtube and it worked fine without any problems. I would give it a try again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds