Ie11 Stubborn Cookies

Discussion in 'Software' started by zapp, Jun 30, 2017.

1. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

running Windows 10 Home ver 1703, all updates. IE11... something changed. the new problem is that apparently nothing can shake cookies/login data. I typically keep things tidy so there's no financial login data left hanging, various email accounts etc. I have IE11 set to empty temp files at exit also.
    whether I use CCleaner or I go into the IE11 options/settings and hit Delete for all the site data, exit, and log back in - then go to a site that I had previously logged into, like one of my several Microsoft accounts - I slide right in like I never logged out. [yes I log out].
    Even [this is disturbing] if I use Private mode window, log out of whatever I was in, and ditch the private window - a day later I open a NEW private window, type "gmail.com" or whatever, and I am auto-logged-in just like I hadn't left.

anyone seen? I posted on one of the big forums and got not a single response....
    freaky problem. There IS a lot of web traffic on how strangely IE handles cookies, but seems the exact reverse problem was more common in the past. cookies would not apparently persist if the user was hoping for that and NOT purging data.
    if it weren't so annoying I would post a bug on Ccleaner, but I think they've been unable to truly cleanup IE for some time. ditto edge

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

In CCleaner you need to check the settings here:

1. Options > Cookies
    Any sites listed at the RIGHT HAND side will never be deleted. If any move them to the left.

2. In Cleaner > Windows > Internet Explorer - unless you have ALL the options checked, it won't remove log in data.

I don't see the problem you have with CCleaner when the above settings are correctly set.

You can also run Wise Disk Cleaner, where as with the above you have to have relevant data removal checked.

3. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

thx - I'm aware of that, but this is new news. I never had this problem before. Though it has manifested After 1703 upgrade, I have no clue if it is caused by some policy change in the handling of site data. Regardless, it is the UNforgiveable sin to have Privacy Mode retain anything, in any browser. It does. That's new. It ain't private

4. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Windows 10 updates have absolutely no effect on the retention of cookies and nor does it interfere within any web browser on their deletion, nor does it interfere in how Drive Cleaners work, nor has it changed anything in Web Browsers when surfing in private ('incognito') mode.
    So you are 100% mistaken.
    So since you haven't confirmed clearly what cookie settings you use in browsers or how you are using the tools and settings in drive cleaners to delete data including cookies, your post is not very useful to you or anyone helping you.
    Don't go down a blind alley.
    If you want to block privacy issues in Win10 (which is nothing at all to do with cookies) then look at the programs developed two years ago to change them, such as O & O Shut UP 10, or Win 10 Privacy among others.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  5. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

By the way, if you wanted to use one of the web browsers rated and reviewed best for security and privacy, it would not be Internet Explorer.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds