IE6 drop down menu issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by whitetiger768, Nov 16, 2007.

1. whitetiger768

whitetiger768 Private E-2

A friend of mine has a windows XP computer that is running IE6 and some mouseover drop down menu's don't work in IE6 on sites like nfl.com and fanball.com. Is there a fix for this? Thank you in advance.

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I suspect the problem is the security settings in IE. Try this:

1. Select Internet Options from the Tools menu.
    2. Click the Security tab (for Internet).
    3. Click Custom Level in Security Level for this Zone.
    4. Scroll down to Scripting, near the bottom of the list.
    5. Under Active Scripting, choose Enable.
    6. Click OK to leave Security Settings. Click OK to leave Internet Options.

Did that do it?

3. whitetiger768

Nope that didn't work. The settings were good. Would upgrading to IE7 fix the issue or not? He uses AVG antivirus, Comodo firewall, spyware blaster, spybot search and destroy, and ad-aware 2007. I personally use those programs on my laptop and have no trouble with the drop down menus. Thanks in advance for any help.

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

What version of IE do you have in your laptop?

I don't know whether upgrading to IE 7 would resolve this, but I'd suggest doing it anyway. IE 7 was designed to be more secure than IE 6. Some people don't like IE 7, at least in the beginning of their experience with it, because the top menu and toolbars are arranged completely different than IE 6. However, I understand a tool called IE 7 Tweak Utility can be used to make IE 7 look more like IE 6.

I visited one of the sites your friend is having trouble with, fanball.com, and found an FAQ page with some info that might be helpful. It's at http://www.fanball.com/faq.cfm Note the question, "What settings does my browser need to view Fanball.com?" I'd advise your friend to try what it says there.

5. whitetiger768

I have a desktop system and a laptop system, I use IE7 on both of them. I will agree that IE7 takes a little getting used to but I like it better now than IE6. I will direct his attention to that site you point out and see what happens. I will also try and get him to upgrade to IE7. Thank you for your assistance. I will let you know what happens.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds