IE6 Freeze problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Harrykeogh, May 7, 2005.

1. Harrykeogh

Harrykeogh Private E-2

Hi,
    New here so if I miss something don't be too harsh! Problem is that on certain websites, IE6 seems to freeze. Waiting for a while it seems to kick back in, but if you're in the middle of a game, you end up losing. :(

This problem has appeared quite suddenly but has got progressively worse.

Basic system is as follows:

Windows XP Pro
    IE6
    P4 2MHZ
    512 SDRAM
    Nvidia GeForce 3 Ti 200 TV Out

Have tried reinstallation of Windows Xp (and everything associated)
    Have ran Spybot, AVG, Spyware Blaster, CCleaner, Ad-aware, Ewido, Spysubtract, CWshredder,scanned using Trend Micro, done a Symantec security check (fine) this morning as well as Bitdefender, Trojanscan online and a-squared - located and removed a couple of trojans and some spyware.

Have tested graphics card and ensured latest driver installed.

Have tested DSL speeds on a few speed tests - better than average pings, download and upload streams.

Now beginning to despair....none of the above has had the slighest effect on gameplay on this site. Many friends use this with no problem - as I did - so not convinced it's a server/connection problem at their end.

One idea I've stumbled across was the size of upload/download packets could be tweaked?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Hi welcome to MG, I'm sure no-one would be harsh in any way so don't worry :)

Have you got latest shockwave and flash plugins for games?
    Also, have you tried considering using Mozilla Firefox browser? Many people here use it and find it a lot better - download at www.getfirefox.com
    Also, have you defragmented recently?

3. Harrykeogh

Harrykeogh Private E-2

Cheers - yes, latest Shockwave and Flash plug-ins. Unfortunately, game site (www.midasplayer.com) doesn't support any alternative browsers. Tried Firefox, very good browser I agree and superior to IE in most ways.

Also defragged after reformatting HD and after re-installing Windows XP Pro.

Thanks

4. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

It definitely seems like a driver problem then, you say you're running a Nvidia GeForce 3 Ti 200 TV Out, try this download -

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_71.89.html

These utilities are very useful, recently downloaded an ATI one and fixed a problem for me.

5. Harrykeogh

Harrykeogh Private E-2

Hi,
    Thanks - unfortunately this is the driver I've got installed and from the same source

Cheers

Harry

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds