ie7, firefox can't connect, but safari can to internet

Discussion in 'Software' started by devigay, Jan 18, 2010.

1. devigay

devigay Private E-2

Good morning folks!

IE-7 and 8 cannot connect to internet, and neither can itunes, windows update, etc. Safari works like a charm.
    Tried resetting IE, ipconfig-ing, followed guidelines on microsoft, manually put in DNS, even removed windows service pack 3 in desperation but nada...
    Have not really needed IE but sucks to not be able to watch netflicks streaming movies or download itunes etc.
    Please help. (Windows XP OS):confused

2. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

This really sounds like a firewall problem.
    Post again if you check the firewall and all is well.

Can you use Windows Update and other self-contained updates like your Anti virus?

3. devigay

devigay Private E-2

Thanks, I have tried disabling symantec firewall in the past w/o effect. Am at my wit's end!!

4. scajjr

scajjr Sergeant

Can you look in the connection settings for safari and compare them to the settings in IE to see if it's set differently? Seems odd that Safari connects and IE/iTunes won't.

Do you use a dedicated email client (Outlook Express, Outlook, Thunderbird, etc) and does it connect?

Sam

5. devigay

devigay Private E-2

Thanks Sam, went over internet settings for both browsers= safari and ie7- IDENTICAL... What next?

6. zero0

zero0 Private E-2

try reset internet connection I think this maybe help>

start ===> Run ===> cmd

type this commands Respectively and click enter after each command :)

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

7. devigay

devigay Private E-2

Thanks- The dns flush cache went fine.
    When I ran the ipconfig release I got the following error message
    "No operation can be performed on Local Area Network while it has media disconnected".
    Same error with ipconfig renew.
    BTW- safari still is fine and internet is working...

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

media disconnected means IE thinks you are not wired to either your modem or router.

How long has this occurred? Is it possible to use a restore point before the problem occurred? If it doesn't fix the issue, then you can come back to today's restore point.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds