IE7, high priority MS update

Discussion in 'Software' started by bigbazza, Nov 3, 2006.

1. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Just visited www.windowsupdate.com to check on what updates I might be missing.

IE7 is defined as a High-priority update.

2. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

Installed IE7. Was rather impressed (thought I'd never say that). Nice tabbed browsing, seemed rather fast, didn't crash on me, only problem was it is incompatible with HP psc printers.

Seems as there are some .dll files included with IE7 that don't agree with HP psc printers. Couldn't scan anything. Had to uninstall IE7 reverting back to IE6 (bummer). Spent hours getting my HP psc printer to work right again.

Hp is suppose to come out with a patch to correct the incompatibility, but I won't hold my breath. E-mailed HP inquiring about the patch. Would rather communicate with Hank Kimball on Green Acres than HP!!!

3. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

I do tech support for an isp, and now we have bunches of customers that can't surf the net after the updates. Trying to get microsoft to help us figure out why is going no where fast.

4. Goldheart

Goldheart Private E-2

I've done about a dozen installs of IE 7 so far and no noticable issues so far. (Knock on wood!)

Since IE 7 is final and is a being pushed by Microsoft may as well bite the bullet.

5. bigbazza

Thanks, Kniht. :cool:
    As I've got a HP psc 1410 all-in-one printer, I think I'll definitely wait a bit longer. Bazza

===

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

I do not know, if the hp printer has issues with IE7, but....I do know that if one is using older versions of QuickBooks. You either have to upgrade, or uninstall IE7.

Yes, one can uninstall ie7, with success.

So, BigBazza, give it a shot. If it works great! If it doesn't, uninstall. :)

The only HP problems I have is that vista butts heads with hp printers. ;)

7. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

Believe me, the HP psc printer and IE7 will not get along. If you install IE7, HP Director will no longer be able to scan. In fact, I'd click on HP Director and in Task Manager it was listed as a running process, but nothing showed on my desktop to be able to work the program with. Tried to uninstall the HP printer software to be able to reinstall, Add/Remove Programs said removal of the software was successful, yet when I rebooted, the printer software was just as functional as it was before it was supposedly uninstalled! All the associated files were still in C:\Hewlett-Packard! Went back to Add/Remove Programs and my HP psc printer program was no longer listed!

I finally did an intensive search on the net, and found many folks with problems with HP psc printers after installing IE7. HP itself admits an incompatibility issue with IE7.

After uninstalling IE7, HP Director would open on my desktop, but would only recognize my R707 HP camera not the printer.

Had to go into the registry and force HP Director to recognize the Printer, quite a trick.

After many hours of pulling out what little hair I have left, I was able to get the printer back to normal. No one one the web could explain how to get the printer functioning normal again, not even HP. All HP could say was their typical "Do a system restore". It was a hit and miss effort, that no one else should have to go through.

bigbazza, we need to get folks together and do a mass e-mail campaign to HP demanding they come up with the patch. This is not Microsoft's doing. They sent out notifications that IE7 was to be released and for all to see if their programs were compatible with it. Typical HP dragging their feet!

Try Googling "IE7 and HP compatibility" and see what you come up with.

I personally am going to wait for HP's patch.

8. bigbazza

I think I'll stick with with IE6, theefool.
    Never had a problem with it. Only use IE6, never seen the need for any other browser, for what I use a browser for.

I don't want to be on the bleeding edge of getting some manufacturer's programs (HP) compatible with IE7.:p :mad:

Kniht's experience is enough for me, to chicken out for now.
    Thanks again, Kniht. ;) Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds