IE7 loading gradually degrades until "canot display page".

Discussion in 'Software' started by deek72, Sep 9, 2008.

1. deek72

deek72 Private E-2

Hi. I have the strangest problem. I will be browsing the internet and it will suddenly start to load pages without the pictures (empty box with red x) then some pages will not load but others will. Then finally every link in my favourites will fail to load saying 'cannot display page'. Except one! My favourites link to 'ibood.com' will always load and every link within that site works fine! Go to a link away from the site and nothing! Back to ibood and its fine So obviously it's not a connection problem. I can't for the life of me get my head around this one. One thing that may be worth mentioning is that my wife got into Facebook a coulple of months ago and it may be coincidence but this problem seemed to appear around the same time. There is also a laptop connected to the same router and she uses Facebook on that too, and the same problem occurs on there too.
    Any ideas?
    Running XP pro SP3.
    Cheers.
    Derek.

PS I have tried disabling ALL add-ons in IE7 and it doesn't make any difference.

PPS. We have Cyberpatrol installed. Could that cause any issues like this?

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:wave Welcome to Major Geeks :major
    As I started reading your post, I was thinking that maybe the one working web site was cached and that's why it loaded, but then none of its links would work. Caching would make sense. But then you said a laptop on the same router is having the same problems. So, I'd venture to say that maybe the router is the issue here. Try bypassing the router; unplug the ethernet cable from the router and plug it directly into your cable/DSL modem. Restart your PC. Once the desktop is loaded, wait a minute or so for everything to 'settle down'. Then try going on line and do some surfing. Oh, and clean out all your temp files first with CCleaner. Just use the default settings; when it opens, click Run Cleaner in the lower right corner.
    Let us know how it goes!

[dlb]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  3. deek72

deek72 Private E-2

Thanks dlb, I'll try that and get back to you. :)

4. deek72

deek72 Private E-2

Hi dlb. I tried what you said and up to now all seems well. I can get hold of a different router and try that one. If that's ok then I'll try removing everything to do with my router and then reset it to defaults etc and try that again.
    If you don't hear from me you know all is well and I'll thank you for your help now. It's appreciated. ;)

Derek.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds