IE8 Error loading: typerError: 'documentElement' is null or not an object

Discussion in 'Software' started by ksnow, Nov 7, 2012.

1. ksnow

ksnow Private E-2

I have tried the "similar threads" without success. I am using Windows XP with newly installed IE 8. On a site I use regularly, I am not able to access it due to this error: IE8 Error loading: typerError: 'documentElement' is null or not an object.

Can someone help me sort this out?

Thanks, Marilyn

2. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

Have you tried to access the page with another browser, say Firefox? If so what was the result? If not, try it...

3. ksnow

ksnow Private E-2

Thank you for your response. I have never used another browser. Is there a downside to downloading (I assume I can find it with Google?) Firefox? Thanks, Marilyn

4. ksnow

ksnow Private E-2

I just tried to download Firefox and get and error "This program cannot be run in Dos mode" plus a lot of characters I do not understand.

5. ksnow

ksnow Private E-2

I got it downloaded from another site.

6. cipher

No, there is no danger in using Firefox. It is a good practice to have 2 browsers, in case one crashes hard, you'll need a way to get to a site for a replacement install for example.

I've seen a few posts that feature your error, it may have something to do with the site not being coded correctly for IE. That's why I wanted you to go to the site with another browser. It is just one site that gives the error, correct? Other sites come up OK with IE, right?

7. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings...

Pardon the intrusion. The first things I thought of when looking at the symptoms were:

1. Script debugging. Navigate to Control Panel > Internet Options > Advanced - you might try toggling the Script Debugging items there, see if there's a change in symptoms.

2. Add-ons. Navigate to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools - try opening Internet Explorer (No Add-ons), see if your symptoms change.

Agreed with cipher: using Firefox is a good thing.

8. ksnow

ksnow Private E-2

Thanks Cipher and Caliban,

Yes, so far it is just one site which had worked previously,but I do not know what made it change. I was able to open it in Firefox and complete my business on the site, for which I am very grateful to you both.

I did try the no add-ons and toggling the script debugging and neither was successful.

So clearly for now I need Firefox. I am going to be out of touch for a day, but if there are any other ideas, please post and I will try to check them out when I get back.

Marilyn (AKA ksnow :))

9. cipher

A little checking has told me that some web sites are not coded correctly for every "feature" of IE8. I think Adobe has one such page. Apparently a compatibility issue, not something wrong with your computer methinks...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds