IE9 Beta now available for public consumption!

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Sep 17, 2010.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Yup, it's no longer just a "platform preview", the real deal is here. I posted a couple links over in the "Weblinks" forum. The 2nd link posted is the IE9 Beta download link. The first link is a great description of the IE9 Beta, so you might want to give it a 'once over' before downloading.... ENJOY!

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=1535894#post1535894

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

How to alienate 65% of the Windows userbase at a stroke ... release a new IE that can't be installed on XP.

I hope it wasn't created by the same team that built W7's 'Explorer'.

3. ZaKaI

ZaKaI Private E-2

So Microsoft's supposedly rebirth of the browser is here huh? Sounds like they are really trying to out do Chrome 7 and Firefox 4 in this release.

I do have to admit that HTML5 is somewhat nicer and I can't wait to see what Adobe Square has in store for IE9.

Maybe Microsoft has something here... Maybe...

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Think so? Surely by definition the vast majority of XP users have no interest in having the latest ;)

5. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I have played around with it for a couple of hours and to be perfectly honest it is not good enough to tempt me away from FF.

6. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

to Earthling
    Maybe not the latest, but for me, the safest.

7. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

I have been using IE9 from platform preview up to beta. I won't be switching back to my old browsers as this is really up at the top end of the browsers.

It sure beats opera for speed but the war is not over as google chrome 7 claims is going to beat IE9 hands down in speed and stability.

8. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I keep several OSs on this machine, they come and they go, but XP will be there for a long time yet I believe. But I was referring to the millions of XP users who are quite happy with what they have and see no need to change anything at all. I don't see many of them being bothered by, or even aware of the existence of IE9.

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

10. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

11. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Likely amount of images and videos used they do take up alot of ram, try in Firefox and the ram usage is higher IE8 for me 104mb and Minefield (which is a fast alpha version of Fx 4 is at 148mb and a browser I love to use), but do let the pages load fully on any broswer as the mem usage will drop to the normal level, and IE8 is at 18mb for me and Minefield at 30mb... so whos better! (I run both so dont care, but just to show this is not a failing of IE at all and I'm a vocal critic of IE on the Microsoft beta tests, as it just doesnt go far enough in the past but IE9 does fix many of my critisisms I have put to the teams on this application). Note may need to leave the page to load for 15mins+ to get CPU to zero usage for the browser listing in taskmgr as its loading the page data on both browsers.

[​IMG]
    Highlighted is Minefield and IE tab running that blog the other IE listings are the MG pages I'm typing this on and the IE crash protection usage listing (this allows you to recover pages if IE crashes). Didnt try IE8 64bit for some reason, just noticed that ommision.

IE9 was at 65mb at page loaded fully and zero CPU usage in IE, would need to try this on my PC with IE9 beta installed fully on opposed to the Virtual PC, which could have been using extra resources, that I was testing on just now, dont have my main desktop as a production testbed.

But in the end its information on a page (maybe alot for many to take in) and nothing to do with how well IE performs over Fx/Chrome/Opera et al.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds