IE9 Not Playing YouTube Vids

Discussion in 'Software' started by sobeit, Feb 6, 2012.

1. sobeit

sobeit Staff Sergeant

Hi all.
    For some reason IE9 is refusing to play YouTube Vids.
    I tried using Chrome and they play just fine so I have all necessary software installed it must be a setting in IE9.
    I have tried a change in the advanced settings in IE9 choosing 'use software rendering instead of GPU rendering'.
    IE9 then plays the videos but stalls and makes everything real slow.
    Any clues?
    Cheers.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

FYI sobeit: Chrome is supplied with its own version of Flash, so its of limited use for testing this.

Non-Chrome/IE-based browsers require a different Flash installation, also available from the link posted by plodr.

What graphics card/chip is on the computer?

4. plodr

satrow, the OP only has a problem with IE 9; no problem with the other browser so that's why I told him to check the flash version for IE 9.

5. sobeit

sobeit Staff Sergeant

Thanks both.
    I have the latest flash installed (11).
    Didn't know about Chrome having it's own version, shame it wont let you disable tabbed browsing.

I have a geforce 6600 card.

6. satrow

That should be sufficient for Flash to run at a decent speed.

7. plodr

8. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Just a quickie:

I normally use Firefox, but I tried a YouTube video in my IE9 and it worked fine. Not using any ActiveX filtering, and the only add-on is the Shockwave Flash Object version 10.1 82.76, which leads to my question: did the problem start occurring recently, after a Flash upgrade? If so, you might try reverting to an older version (for troubleshooting purposes) or reinstalling the current version.

9. plodr

I just fired up IE 9 and played a YouTube video with no problem. I am running Shockwave Flash 11.1.102.55
    I just checked and this is the latest non-Beta version. Source for comparison http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_ie/
    so shockwave flash isn't the problem.
    Check the addons you have for IE9, perhaps one of them is causing the problem.

10. sobeit

sobeit Staff Sergeant

Firstly let me tell you that this is a clean install of windows 7 32 bit.

Well, it appears I can now play you tube vids. (Don't know why suddenly)
    I can't enjoy them as they are very choppy.
    This morning I started my computer and could hear my hdd grinding away so opened task manager.
    For a good few minutes cpu usage was almost 100%.
    Clicked show all processes ( I have about 52 running at start up) and saw a couple that were hogging usage.
    Windows Media Player Network Service and Host Process For Windows Services running at up to 100% cpu and 50% physical memory.
    After it had all settled down I opened IE9 and browsed a bit.
    Task manager was showing that just scrolling up and down a page could use up to 100% CPU so no wonder my browsing has been dodgy lately.
    I had 4 IE9 windows open while writing this and the CPU usage is constantly 100%.
    I shut them down one by one and left just this one open and it settles down.
    Something in IE9 is using a heck of alot of CPU just to show a few pictures.

I shall take a closer look at your suggestions later and see if active x or add ons are to blame but as this is a clean install and I haven't messed with any settings I don't understand why my CPU is at 100% so much, could it be dying?

11. plodr

12. sobeit

sobeit Staff Sergeant

Sorry, yeah abit out of date.
    1.5gb of RAM.
    This is the third HDD i've tried although all second hand, just in case it was my HDD that was failing.
    I now have a problem with start up.
    Sometimes it says windows is starting and it just hangs.
    Other times it says there is a fault and windows will try to repair itself.
    It then says it can't.
    I reboot and it starts fine.
    I've either been very unlucky and had three HDD's fail or something else is dying.
    Perhaps my mobo, it is a good few years old.

13. plodr

Although MS says Win 7 will work with
    1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit), you might notice some hesitation with the minimum.
    And this "Note: If you are planning to run Windows XP Mode along with Windows 7, Microsoft is recommending a PC with a minimum of 2GB of memory".

14. satrow

3 failing drives points towards a failing controller on the motherboard.

EDIT: or a bad power feed from the PSU.

15. sobeit

sobeit Staff Sergeant

Plodr, no it's a clean install, drive was wiped before installing 7.
    I'm looking through the services to disable but not sure if i'm wasting my time as obviously they wont change the fact that something else is going on.

satrow, that's the problem isn't it, it could be just about anything getting ready to fail I suppose.
    I've been having grief for a while now.
    The reason for the clean install was that XP was blue screening me a fair bit.
    I thought it may have been corrupted registry.
    As I was doing a clean install I thought i'd buy 7 and get 'with the times' but it wouldn't install on my original HDD.
    I thought my spec wasn't up to it so wiped the drive again and tried to reinstall XP.
    It wasn't having any of it which made me suspect the HDD.
    I tried an old Maxtor 40GB, everything installed ok but it played up so I tried a 160gb Western Digital HDD that my father gave me and I am still having problems.
    It may be time for a new PC but I hate chucking stuff for the sake of it if it's something I can fix.

16. satrow

If the drives are tested with chkdsk/SMART when hooked up to another machine and they come out as good, it pretty much rules them out of the equation.

17. sobeit

sobeit Staff Sergeant

Hmmm.
    Ran chkdsk on this pc.
    didn't report any problems, does it make a log anywhere?
    It rebooted and there was a cross by my sound icon.
    It tells me no audio output device is installed.
    It is on board sound.
    This has happened before with this clean install.
    I have to unistall the driver, uninstall the device and shut down then reboot before the device will work again.

18. satrow

Details on chkdsk should be in Management > Windows logs > Applications, search for 'wininit' or 'chkdsk' (varies, depending on where it was run from).

I don't know what's happening with your audio device, maybe some clues in the System logs?

19. sobeit

sobeit Staff Sergeant

This is my wininit log, anyone know if all is well?
    I see a reference saying 'Windows has made corrections to the file system' which I have highlighted in blue

Checking file system on C: The type of the file system is NTFS. A disk check has been scheduled. Windows will now check the disk. CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)... 199680 file records processed. File verification completed. 165 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. 2 EA records processed. 44 reparse records processed. CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)... 248948 index entries processed. Index verification completed. 0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered. CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)... 199680 file SDs/SIDs processed. Cleaning up 280 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9. Cleaning up 280 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9. Cleaning up 280 unused security descriptors. Security descriptor verification completed. 24635 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal... 37636744 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed. CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)... 199664 files processed. File data verification completed. CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)... 16011294 free clusters processed. Free space verification is complete. CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the master file table (MFT) bitmap. CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap. Windows has made corrections to the file system. 115218431 KB total disk space. 50766796 KB in 172586 files. 99668 KB in 24636 indexes. 0 KB in bad sectors. 306787 KB in use by the system. 65536 KB occupied by the log file. 64045180 KB available on disk. 4096 bytes in each allocation unit. 28804607 total allocation units on disk. 16011295 allocation units available on disk. Internal Info: 00 0c 03 00 71 02 03 00 79 be 05 00 00 00 00 00 ....q...y....... c5 0e 00 00 2c 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ....,........... a0 f1 24 00 50 01 24 00 28 18 24 00 00 00 24 00 ..$.P.$.(.$...$. Windows has finished checking your disk. Please wait while your computer restarts.

I have alot of 'errors' in system logs (kernel - processor - power event 6)
    And a couple of 'criticals' (kernel - power event 41 task category (63) )

20. satrow

So chkdsk found errors only in the amount of free space, no bad blocks or lost files/folders, that seems ok.

The (kernel - processor - power event 6) is informational, logging that the power-saving abilities of your CPU are being wrongly interpreted by the motherboard/BIOS - that shouldn't be a real problem either.

(kernel - power event 41 task category (63) = spontaneous reboot occurred; this is a problem, could be overheating, motherboard fault, bad PSU, ...

Looks more like 'board and/or PSU now.

21. sobeit

sobeit Staff Sergeant

Ah bum.
    All my hard work probably wasted. :)
    For the age of the computer I doubt it is worth messing.
    If it was definately the PSU then fair enough but the motherboard...............:(
    I'll let it run and see how I feel.
    I have a couple of low power PSU's that I could try, I don't have too much plugged in so it may be worth a go.
    We'll see, cheers.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds