IE9 not responding under Win7

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dumb_Question, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Dumb_Question

Dumb_Question Sergeant Major

I run IE9 under Win7 and I have been having some problems with it: some tabs - I have multiple tabs open, sometimes as many as 7 - just become non-responsive after a time. By non responsive I mean clicking on the webpage, trying to refresh, or scroll up/down just does nothing. In the task manager, the program is marked as "running". Sometimes they recover. The worst is hotmail, which becomes non reponsive and doesn't recover, not within 15 minutes or so. Funny thing is that if I open a new tab, and select the hotmail login page from my favourites I get back to where hotmail was on the non responsive tab, and can continue for a short time before this new tab becomes non responsive. I then close this tab and open hotmail again and carry on wrking for a bit until the same thing happens. Other sites become non responsive but they usually recover in a much shorter time: I haven't felt the nee to open them again in new tabs (except for talktalk mail which is always hanging, even under XP).

Other programs like file manager (whatever its called in win7) or works database continue to run as usual. When selectin the non responsive tab after going to one that is working, the navy blue bar avcross the top of the screen changes to the selected site, but the screen doesn't change from the page you were viewing previously.

What's wrong ? How can I fix it ?

Dumb_Question
    17.October.2012
    HP Pavilion dm4 1050ea
    Intel Core i5 M430 2.26 GHz
    3 GB RAM
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Wireless connection DLink 2680 router/modem-> wireless modem in PC

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I've had quite a few issues with IE9 in Win 7, eventually causing me to start using Firefox instead. I haven't been able to fully resolve these problems but they were certainly made a lot better by ensuring that my internet connection was correctly tuned to my ADSL signal - particularly the MTU (maximum transmission unit). For that I used TCP Optimizer, taking care to test the maximum MTU AFTER telling the program what my sync speed is - there's a simple slider for that. The program doesn't require installation, just download and run.

It may or may not help with your specific problem and if it doesn't then I would also flush IE9's internet cache (Internet Options > General > Browsing History). In fact that's probably worth trying first.

3. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

Also you may wish to have a read here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2528233

I know that turning OFF Hardware Acceleration in Firefox makes some rendering issues better. It would be worth a try IMO... :cool

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

That seems to have sorted my remaining problem with IE9 - thanks! :)

5. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

Glad to hear it! :)

6. Dumb_Question

Dumb_Question Sergeant Major

'internet connection correctly tuned to my ADSL signal' I have not done this...yet. But everything except my PC is provided by the the same company (including my wireless modem aka router), so isn't the case that my connection will be tuned to my ADSL by default ?

Clearing the browsing files etc certainly helps, I do this frequently because I am worried about cookies spying on me ! it upsets mr to see adverts for things I have been looking at (psus on ebay) appear in my mail program from amazon !

I have been thinking of changing my browser too, I installed Firefox, but I was also thinking of Chrome, as it is said to be 'simpler'.

Dumb_Question
    29.October.2012

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds