IEEE firewire card doesn't work, is it vista?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sj64@bellsouth.net, Nov 22, 2008.

1. sj64@bellsouth.net

sj64@bellsouth.net Private E-2

I just purchased a new Hewlett Packard 64 bit laptop 2 weeks ago. I thought it had biult in firewire port but doesn't. I have tons of dv video waiting to be captured & keep having trouble. I bought a Dynex firewire card & the booklet that came with it doesn't list Vista (XP, 98, 200, etc. are listed). I put the card in, attach cable to camera as should be but nothing happens. It doesn't recognize anything. What am I doing wrong? How can I get my videp from this dv camera to my pc? Please help, Christmas is coming & I would love to film knowing it will be on dvd for everyone to see eventually. Thank you, Stacye

2. Michenko

Michenko Private First Class

Do you know the model number of the laptop?

3. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Apperently the card you bought doesn't work with vista, as it wasn't listed in the book as well, make sure the stuff you buy works with vista or says vista compatible.

4. sj64@bellsouth.net

Michenko, thanks for responding. I have a HP Pavilion dv2700 notebook pc.

Colemanguy, I bought the card on ebay & seller told me it worked with vista. Only when I read booklet did I see vista was not included in list of oper systems..otherwise I wouldn't have bought. Practically all pc's have vista so it's strange dynex IEEE card bus adapter isn't compatible. Hope someone can advise me what to do to get my videos downloaded. Help very appreciated. Thank you.

5. sj64@bellsouth.net

Michenko, thanks for responding. I have a HP Pavilion dv2700 notebook pc. Let me know if you need to know anything else. I hope this helps. Thanks, SJ

6. Michenko

If I've got your laptop right, it should have a DV input on the side (see pic), rather than a firewire port. This DV connection (also written as 1394) has replaced firewire on most laptops now, but works exactly the same. For reference, it should be the exact same connection as on your DV camcorder.

You will probably need to buy a new cable (4 pin to 4 pin dv cable) to link laptop and camcorder, but that's it!

Check your laptop, especially for that symbol in the pic. It's rare that HP/Compaq don't include this connection on all their new gear.

Let me know what connection your camcorder has, and whether your laptop has this connection too

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  7. sj64@bellsouth.net

Michenko, I don't have the 1394 port. I know what it looks like & when I bought this laptop I read specs somewhere that said it had firewire (1394) port, but after buying I see it doesn't & read on other sites that it doesn't. Some sites are mistaken when they say it has 1394 port. It just has a card slot & the usual usb ports, etc. I thought the dynex card would be the answer. I do have the 4pin X 6pin cable. I hooked it to camera & to card in slot. They fit perfect but nothing happened, not recognized at all by pc. Since all new pcs have vista, seems dynex would have firewire card that works with vista. Until then I have about 10 tapes of family video worthless. And more to come unless I pull out the old vhs camcorder for xmas filming. I knew a minidv camcorder would be work transferring & all, but this is insane. Not one dvd to show for it yet. Thanks for any help you can give me. And have a great Thanksgiving!! SJ

8. Michenko

According to the Dynex's website, the card in question is 'plug n play'. that means they don't supply a downloadable driver because it shouldn't need it.

http://www.dynexproducts.com/pc-507-2-dynex-ieee-1394-firewire-2-port-pcmcia-card.aspx

I can only suggest that the card may be faulty (?)

The best way to check is to click; Start > Run (or search) > then type in 'devmgmt.msc' and press enter. This will load up device manager. Scroll down the list and look at PCMCIA adapters. Click the plus sign, and if the device is not showing then the card is not recognised by the computer.

Try to use windows update to see if that will download any appropriate information for the card. If not i would suggest buying a new one. Maybe Belkin;

http://www4.shopping.com/xPO-Belkin-IEEE-1394-PCCARD-CARDBUS-VIDEOSTUDIO-AN

I hope this helps. Let me know how you get on with it, I'll keep checking back on this thread, it's got me thinking!

9. carloscuau

carloscuau Private E-2

The reason your Dynex Firewire card does not work is because it is not compatible with a 64 bit version of Windows Vista (it is only compatible with a 32 bit version), kind of like the Dazzle. The only difference is that on the Dazzle box it specifies that.

The reason I know this is because I too purchased that same Dynex card you're talking about and when I put it into my hp laptop with vista 64 bit, nothing happened. But then I tried putting it in on my dad's compaq laptop that has windows xp, it recognized it right away.

I would suggest buying a Firewire card made my HP, here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/2-PORT-Firewi...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1231838523&sr=8-1

I bought one of these and my computer recognized it right away and now it works great.

I hope this helps.

-Carlos

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds