If I bought a 500gb external hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The Glad Rapper, Oct 26, 2007.

1. The Glad Rapper

The Glad Rapper Private E-2

could I install my printer/webcam/external burner/ software on that rather than directly to my comp? My goal is to eliminate alot of hardware being directly linked to my comp because I've had compatibility issues in the past. Advice on this matter will be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance.

2. The Glad Rapper

The Glad Rapper Private E-2

anyone have any input? I just asked about a 500 gig drive because I didn't know how much space I would need

3. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

I may be wrong, but I don't believe that what you suggest would work, as most programs including burning software need to be installed on the boot drive.:)

4. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

No most programs dont contain burning software, but it wouldn't help with "My goal is to eliminate alot of hardware being directly linked to my comp because I've had compatibility issues in the past." As all that hardware needs to be linked to windows to work. It would however help with a lack of hardspace space on your main drive.

5. gimpster123

gimpster123 Bring out the Gimp.

I believe it would work, it may slow you down if your connection via usb. As said, it wouldn't solve any combatibility issues.

6. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

i run a 500GB hard drive with almost all my programs running from it i just have a short cut on desktop for those i use a lot.

i have two ways i load progs when in setup and it asks for a location i change it from C to E and as long as the HD is connected it will run from there.

second is to install on C drive and then right click the ICON, in the pop up menu use SEND TO and choose local drive E this is for programs you want to start-up with windows it also saves the programme to your external HD in case of a problem with the PC.

i also have a full system backup on the HD for emergency IE malware.

if you play around with installing to your HD you will soon find the configuration that suits you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds