If I bought A new PSU, would this fix....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pchelpp, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Pchelpp

Pchelpp Private E-2

My ATI Radeon™ HD 4870 is electronically underpowered b/c my pc only has 450 watts, while it's recommended at 550. I'd open up games like Sims 3, and I always played on the highest of high settings for that game, and until recently, I decided to alter the factory settings on my graphics card. I set the card settings all the way up, and when I go in game, the trees and hair are glowing green boxes. If I was to buy a better power supply, would this issue go away? Also, what are some symptoms to know about a failing graphics card?

PC Specs: http://www.slashgear.com/gateway-fx6800-01e-review-intel-core-i7-nehalem-powered-gaming-rig-0221147/ Read the bottom comment.

On high settings: [​IMG]

Low Settings: [​IMG][/IMG]

I've played on high settings for 7months, is it time for a new card, OR a new PSU?

2. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Yes, i would say a new higher quality, higher power output PSU is needed.

Go for a corsair TX 650.

Even if it is the GPU that has gone, you would have to replace that, and you would probably go for a higher powered one which might not even run on your old PSU.

Burrell

3. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

I'd would look at a Corsair TX750W since I think it's only around 20 more then the TX650W

4. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

In case you do not choose either of those models, please read this canned text wich highlights the importance of a good PSU. This text was kinly supplied to me by Digerati and is reproduced here with permission:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds