If Windows Update scan hangs at 0%, ...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Wisewiz, Jun 21, 2003.

1. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

I found this on the MS Troubleshooting page for Windows Update many months ago, and it has worked for dozens of people I've heard from who couldn't get Windows Update to scan past the hanging 0%.

First, get off the Windows Update page: go Home, for instance, then ...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Open the Internet Options panel under Tools.
    Choose the Connections tab.
    Click the LAN Settings button.
    UNcheck "Automatically detect settings".
    OK, OK.

Try to access the Windows Update site again.
    ----------------------
    It works for me and lots of others who are on cable or other HS connex. But you have to re-check the "Automatically detect settings" before you try to visit *other* MS sites: the only one that wants the Auto-detect switch OFF seems to be Windows Update. It just takes a sec to change the switch (and OK twice) when you want to use Windows Update, and then another sec to change it back when you're through with Windows Update and before you do anything else.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2003

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds