If you completely cut off a LIVE HOT coax wire is there any damage to any hardware?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by montecarlo1987, Apr 22, 2013.

1. montecarlo1987

montecarlo1987 Private First Class

Hello. I have a technical and practical question to ask. I am curious. I have had this question to a long time in my mind and never thought of asking it.

If you completely cut off a coax wire with a pair of metal wire cutters in a quick snip motion and at the same time while you are cutting the wire off, the coax cable wire is LIVE HOT (connected between the cable junction box outdoors and your cable modem); is there any damage to any hardware components (cable modem, router, and computer) when you cut off the coax wire?

What I technically is happening to my understanding is the metal wire cutters are making contact between the live solid center core of the coax wire and the outer woven copper/metallic sheathing of the coax cable acting as ground. When contact is made between and a positive and negative polarity, typically in AC or DC electrical circuits, various sized sparks visibly occur and electrical shorts happen damaging electrical components and hardware. I know that the currents are *significantly* lower in cable services utilizing coax cable and likewise telephone services utilizing telephone wire unlike typical household current where you may not see sparks when wires are crossed, but even cutting a LOW current (LIVE HOT) coax cable WHILE HARDWIRED and INLINE with your hardware components damage your SENSATIVE hardware components EVEN negligibly (by a small amount)?

I know when you have cable service technicians over to your residence, they have never told me to disconnect my hardware while they are working with coax cable at my residence; of course, they usually disconnect the coax wires at the live hot connections before they cut into them too.
    Any histories, known reports, personal knowledge of hardware damage occurring when cutting off a coax wire with a quick snip? Please let me know if damage will NEVER happen with sensitive hardware components with a quick snip of a HOT LIVE coax cable or yes it does indeed happen if a HOT LIVE coax wire is indeed connected with sensitive hardware components?

Please reply.

Thank you!

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Re: If you completely cut off a LIVE HOT coax wire is there any damage to any hardwar

I don't see how you would cause any damage to the computer, you are just cutting the internet off. If you want a guarantee, forget it. :) Damage to yourself, etc, you're on your own.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Re: If you completely cut off a LIVE HOT coax wire is there any damage to any hardwar

Hi

I agree with Major Att, and any damage to hardware and PC hardware would be minimal at the worst, the main issue is actually cutting a coax cable when a PC or Hardware is live and on!!

You take the risk if a device is on when a cable is cut as a small risk is a feedback of static power that "could" in some way cause a hardware failure, not generally likely but never know.

4. cabbiinc

cabbiinc Staff Sergeant

Coax does carry some voltage, but bad cables do happen and get used before they are discovered to be bad. Usually there's a single strand of the outer braiding that got missed (touching the center conductor) when it was cut and prepped for the connector on the end of the cable. I was working for a cable company when they rolled out the cable modems and cable internet service in my area. I was working the warehouse, not in the field or technical, but I did talk to every single tech and dealt with returned faulty equipment and shipping back to Motorola complete with writeups for bad equipment. I can say that bad cable jumpers (3 foot, 6 foot, 12 foot sections of premade cable) were far more common than any cable modem returns. So I would suspect that a bad jumper didn't damage the equipment.

Now I've heard tales of CB radio guys going to someone's house that they didn't like and pushing a pin through the cable to the center conductor, connecting the outer braid to the center wire and that shorts out their radio and damages it pretty good. But I don't know if it's just a tale or more to it. I never tried since I liked my radio.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds