If you uninstall AAW AE ... how to revert back to AAW 7.1.0.11 (not 7.1.0.12).

Discussion in 'Software' started by mrpete, Jan 25, 2009.

1. mrpete

mrpete Private E-2

First off ... the one central nugget to the downgrade procedure is to reinstall Ad-Aware / AAW 7.1.0.11 while your internet connection is down. If you want to downgrade and you know where to get AAW 7.1.0.11 then with the tweak I just mentioned you can do it. You don't need to read any further.

Lavasoft Ad-Aware has been useful to me for many years. The current upgrade is Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition / AAW AE / AAW8 which became available on the 20th of January. I find that it does not work well on one of my Windows 2000 machines on which I also run Spybot S&D Tea Timer. I'm not going to go into details.

So I reinstalled the version I upgraded to 45 days ago. That version works well for me.

A few days before AAW AE (AAW8) was released the folks at Lavasoft released an update to AAW 2008 (AAW7). AAW7 went from 7.1.0.11 to 7.1.0.12.

I strongly suspect that the sole change involved with 7.1.0.12 was a "pop-up" screen that asks the proverbial question "Are You Going To Upgrade To AAW AE Today? Or Are You Going To Wait Until Tomorrow?" That pop-up can be silenced with the procedure below.

How to go back to AAW version 7.1.0.11 specifically​

You can get Ad-Aware 2008 7.1.0.11 (AAW7) right from within majorgeeks.com ...

http://majorgeeks.com/Ad-Aware_2008__d5947.html

There is probably some way to get it from the Lavasoft website but as you search for it there they push you towards AAW8. And, of course, AAW8 works great for most people.

Uninstall AAW8. If you have 7.1.0.12 installed then uninstall that version.

Disconnect from the internet.

Install AAW 7.1.0.11 (run aaw2008.exe). It will attempt to connect to the Lavasoft mother ship and will time out. The install will complete.

Reconnect to the internet.

You might want to exit and then restart AAW7 at this point. I don't think that that is necessary, but it couldn't hurt.

In the main window click the Update button. Any definitions updates that are available will come down. It will display a window that says "There are new software updates available! Would you like to go to the download location?" Click no. If you click yes you will be upgraded to 7.1.0.12 .

The install is complete.

Each time you update your definitions it will ask you about software updates. You need to click no each time. KEEP IN MIND THAT, SOONER OR LATER, AAW 7.1.0.11 WILL NO LONGER BE SUPPORTED.

Keep aaw2008.exe somewhere so you can revert back to it if necessary.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds