igfxext.exe driver error?

Discussion in 'Software' started by punkwood2k, Jan 21, 2010.

1. punkwood2k

punkwood2k Private E-2

I have a Dell Dimension 2350 that i am running a Windows repair on. The original issue was that it would log off immediately after selecting a user on the login screen. No way around it, safe mode no better, and no restore point available. So I went into Repair from the install disk.

Now it is giving me this message on a flash screen

The file "igfxext.exe" on Intel(R) Extreme Graphics Windows 2000/XP Installation Disk is needed.

It gives me a default location to copy files from that has no files. I read other posts in here concerning this file, but the solutions do not work. Most of the prior solutions involve downloading the drivers from Dell, writing them on a CD-ROM, and inserting that disk into the affected PC.

However, this is not working for me, because none of the Dell drivers (or files once unzipped) are named igfxext.exe.

To complicate it more, when I browse for the file from the Repair console, it is defaulted to ONLY look for "files of type: igfxext.exe;igfxext.ex_" in a grey field that I cannot edit. And, as I said before, there are no driver files with that specific name, but the default file type its looking for is so specific, it wont allow me to view any other files on the ROM.

Any help please?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Try downloading and installing your Chipset drivers then reboot and then install the Graphics Driver both found HERE at Dell for your PC

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds