IM a real dummy,plz help..IE problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by wmwise, Sep 27, 2008.

1. wmwise

wmwise Private E-2

Howdy everyone, As the title stated, I am a real dummy when it comes to this computor stuff. Guess at 50, I am just not able to grasp...

I have a Compaq Presario running windows XP, its an older system, IE is #6. Have flash, java ect, here is the problem, I have been going to the same internets sites in my favorites for along time. Never had a problems, but now, about half of the sites will not open. Sometimes a window will come up stating the IE is unable to open, then IE will just close down. Sometimes I will be on a site and all of a sudden a window will come up and state that IE will have to shut down, and then its gone. I have tried everything that I know to do, but nothing helped. Any advice and wisdom from you guys will really help.

Thanks in advance
    Bill

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Bill

What I would do to start with is to clear all cookies and temps and CCleaner is good for this, just run its cleaner function, as at times old temp files can be corrupted and cause pages not to load correctly if at all.

Then update your Flash and Java to see if older versions are causing this.

Adobe Flash

Adobe Shockwave

Sun Java Runtime

3. wmwise

wmwise Private E-2

Thanks for the great advice Halo and MarkTrent, I will give it a try and get beck with the outcome.

Thanks again
    Bill

4. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

I used to have same problem when on dial-up. Storms,rain,winds,and old wiring causes bad connection. Try again later.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds