I'm building a custom PC for recording music & games

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CelestialPRO, Oct 20, 2008.

1. CelestialPRO

CelestialPRO Private E-2

I was wondering if you guys could help me? I'm building this system and I wanted to make sure everything will work together... I'm also getting this motherboard I think unless I change my mind and was wondering do I actually buy 2 processors for this board?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131295

I have all the specs I'm going to buy, so let me know if anyone could help me...

Thanks,

2. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

3. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Get an Asus P5Q Deluxe - great board.
    What are the rest of your specs?
    If you're recording music have you thought about hardware & software?

4. CelestialPRO

CelestialPRO Private E-2

Hey thanks for the responses... Here is the whole computer configuration... My client is going to use Protools Mbox 2 with this computer...

BUT I thought duel processors meant you have to put 2 processors in the motherboard? Becasue I have an older computer and I believe it has to slots on it even though i'm only using 1 of them. Let me know if you guys suggest anything different in this config and why... there's also room in the budget to upgrade to better parts if I have too...

thanks I really appriciate this...

Attached Files:

5. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

No, that's for servers etc. I think you're referring to Dual Core processors which have 2 cores, so essentially acts as 2 processors. The same goes for Quad Core, which is 4 cores (so acts as 4 processors).

I'd go for a Q6600 cpu, it's quad core (you just need the one!) as it'll be fine with that board. If you can stretch, get the deluxe version of the P5Q.

Make sure you get the right version of Pro Tools for the right hardware (LE for Digidesign hardware, M-Powered for M-Audio hardware).

6. CelestialPRO

CelestialPRO Private E-2

What's up? my client already owns an MBOX 2 Pro, so I'm trying to get the best system for him and the price range is from like 900 - 1100. Could you tell me what you recommend getting? Also do you chat online maybe we could talk on there and it would be easier?

thanks,

:confused:confused:confused

7. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

No, lets keep it to the forums. That's what they're for.
    I just recommended what to go for in the post above, read it and you'll understand.

8. CelestialPRO

CelestialPRO Private E-2

ok, no problem, but I mean what configuration would you use? including mother board, hard drive, ram, video card, because he wants to play online game also. etc?

thanks,

9. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Well, first you would need a case: This one is descent and can be found for around $70. http://www.antec.com/usa/productDetails.php?lan=us&id=15300

Actually, as much as I dislike them personally, this case on the egg is a steal! $51 shipped.:drool

Now a PSU: http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-GameXStream-OCZ600GXSSLI-ATX12V-Supply/dp/B000KMH704 $99 with a rebate. I don't count those. If you get em it is a bonus.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L or the ASUS P5KE-E http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=534&l4=0&model=1655&modelmenu=1

CPU: Intell E6600 or Q6600. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_cpu.asp?name=CPUs You want the 775 Quad or Dual.

GPU: Nvidia 8800 GT PCI express, or Nvidia 9800 PCI Express. Should be able to find them in the $120 to $160 range. ($119 to $189 here): http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_cpu.asp?name=CPUs Look at the Intel Quads and Duals.

RAM, i would get at least 2GB, should be around $60. 4GB for Vista 64bit.

Hard drive, I like Seagate, Get a SATA2 drive, with at least 16k of cache. $80 or so?

Sound card: Ask Mcadam. Also, ask him about RAM requirements. For sound stuff beyond games and such, I am clueless.

Around $600 plus sound card, OS, and shipping.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  10. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

There's an offer on the Amazon page for the psu, buy that and a Q6600 together for cheap so take that offer.
    Sound card - depends what speakers are being hooked up. If they're standard 3.5mm jack then an X-Fi would probably be appropriate, Fatality if possible. If that's out of budget then an XtremeGamer would be great also.

RAM requirements, you'll want at least PC6400. I wouldn't bother going with DDR3 just yet as I doubt you'll notice the difference, plus it's very pricey still.

11. CelestialPRO

CelestialPRO Private E-2

what's the actual link to that amazon page? Also is there a noticeable differance from the Quad-core / Core 2 Extreme / Core 2 Duo / Pentium. I'm just used to building standard P 4 systems. Sorry if my questions sound stupid or anything...

12. CelestialPRO

CelestialPRO Private E-2

Fred that whole configuration you gave me isn't 600 total is it?

13. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  14. CelestialPRO

CelestialPRO Private E-2

Fred, isn't it cheaper to just buy a tower with a PSU already?

15. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Cheap and PSU should never be in the same sentence in my opinion. What is your budget for the computer?

16. CelestialPRO

CelestialPRO Private E-2

probably like 1,000 they don't need a sound card there going to use a Pro-tools M box 2.

17. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

In that case, I would bump up to a couple of bigger hard drives, if you are going with a 64 bit OS, add another 2GB of RAM, an DVD/CD burner or two, and with some miscelaneous case fans and such, you would be pretty close to a grand. :cool

18. CelestialPRO

CelestialPRO Private E-2

ok, thanks! Another question what's the differance between all these processors? Quad-core / Core 2 Extreme / Core 2 Duo / Pentium

thanks,

19. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Core 2 is Intel's main line of newer dual and quad core CPU's. A Core 2 E6600 is a dual core CPU. The Core 2 Q6600 is a quad core. These are the one's i am most familiar with, not bleeding edge thechnology, but dang nice for the price. The Core 2 Extreme is the high end CPU's. High dollar stuff, with some better performance, but not worth the price jump for $ vs value IMHO. The Pentium is an older Intel CPU. I would stay away from the Pentium unless you are on an extreme budget. At that point, AMD might be a better buy.

20. CelestialPRO

CelestialPRO Private E-2

Ok, so which motherboard actually has to processor sockets and is it really a noticeable differance if I have 1 chip or 2 chips? Also what's the differance between Sata and Pata? sorry for all the questions...

21. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Most mobo's use just one CPU. But the newer CPU's have multiple cores built in. So a Dual Core E6600 has 2 CPU's in the chip you put in the motherboard. Instead of placing 2 CPU's in different slots on the mobo, the one CPU has multiple cores inside it.

Dual CPU motherboards exist, mainly server or extreme high end stuff.

SATA and PATA (IDE), short explanation. SATA is newer and a bit faster than the older IDE interface. The cables are smaller, and instead of running 1 or 2 devices per cable with IDE, you run one device per cable with SATA.

Also, most newer motherboards now only come with one IDE header (plug) on them. So you can only have 2 IDE devices unless you add a card. Go with the SATA.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  22. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

23. CelestialPRO

CelestialPRO Private E-2

thanks for all your help and time.... my client kind of wants some flashy case like the 1 he picked... this 1...

Attached Files:

24. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

In that 'case' to each his own! ;) Get what the customer wants! But the link I have above has a case and a CPU. You could always use the CPU in the clients build, and then keep the extra 'free' case for yourself or another computer build.

25. CelestialPRO

CelestialPRO Private E-2

thanks for your help... if i have any questions i'll post them on here...

26. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

If he's using an M-Box and connecting speakers directly to it then forget the sound card as this is technically the sound card.
    I'd definitely get a Q6600 and the case of his choice to keep him happy.
    You may like to consider an aftermarket cooler for the cpu too as music software is quite demanding and will make the cpu work harder, thus get hotter.

27. CelestialPRO

CelestialPRO Private E-2

Hey, another question... what's the best memory from these?

Number of Memory Slots 4×240pin
    Memory Standard DDR2 1066 / 800 / 667 MHz
    The chipset officially supports the memory frequency up to DDR2 800MHz. Tuned by ASUS Super Memspeed Technology, this motherboard natively supports up to DDR2 1066MHz

Should I get the 1066 or?

28. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

I'd go for 800 to be on the safe side, and it's not as expensive :)

29. CelestialPRO

CelestialPRO Private E-2

30. CelestialPRO

CelestialPRO Private E-2

31. CelestialPRO

CelestialPRO Private E-2

32. CelestialPRO

CelestialPRO Private E-2

33. comperroruter

comperroruter Darth Meatloaf

34. comperroruter

comperroruter Darth Meatloaf

35. CelestialPRO

CelestialPRO Private E-2

36. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

RAM: I prefer OCA, G-Skill, and Mushkin. For the video card, the ATI 4850 looks pretty nice. For the hard drive, I like Seagate.

37. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

nothing else to add, but that case is sick. nice choice.

38. CelestialPRO

CelestialPRO Private E-2

About the memory aren't the Kingston, PNY, crucial and corsair the better chips? and should I get one that has a heatspreader?

About the hard drive is there one that's faster then others and doesn't make any noise?

Video card for what slot should I buy the video card for? Of course we want the best one for the price.

Thanks,

39. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

People have their own preference and experience with Companies. I have not used Kingston or PNY in years, so don't know. I have had problems with Crucial and Corsair, so I no longer buy them.

Faster hard drives are going to make more noise.

Can you post a link to the motherboard you are going to get? We can tell you what type of video card to get then.

40. CelestialPRO

CelestialPRO Private E-2

41. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

That is a nice mobo. I have one myself.:-D It has WiFi.

As for heatspreaders, there is some debate on whether they are beneficial or not. Most of the enthusiest(sp) RAM have heatspreaders. All the desktop RAM I have bought have had them. As long as you buy RAM from a good company that has a good warranty, you should be ok.

One other thought about your case. Make sure you get the diminsions of the case and the size of whatever video card you get. Some of the newer cards are ginormas and will not fit in some cases.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  42. CelestialPRO

CelestialPRO Private E-2

You mean you prefer OCZ ? not OCA right?

43. CelestialPRO

CelestialPRO Private E-2

So with this motherboard I don't need any extra WIFI eqiupment it will automatically detect WIFI in the area?

44. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Sorry, yes, I meant OCZ.:-D

It has a WiFi antena and can connect to a wireless source that is compatible.

45. CelestialPRO

CelestialPRO Private E-2

What power supply should I buy for this case?

46. CelestialPRO

CelestialPRO Private E-2

47. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Post #9 in this thread has my vote for PSU. Have had no problem with mine.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds