im confused!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by herb, Jul 23, 2007.

1. herb

herb Private E-2

ok.. i have a dsl connection and im only getting like 50 kbps - isnt that kinda like dial up?? i dont understand this.. my isp says that the lowest dsl connection they offer is a 200 and somethinkg kbps... i dont understand it lol - but please correct me if im wrong

2. noahawk

noahawk Corporal

Is the 50 Kbps when downloading files? With DSL, you should see download speeds between 15 to 75 KBps, but with dialup, you would see speeds between 2 and 5 KBps.

3. Ironsnipe

Ironsnipe Private First Class

Are we talking KB/s or kbps.

If your downloading at 50kbps, then either the server your downloading from sucks, or you need a new ISP.

If your downloading at 50KB/s, then your doing fine. A person with a 256kbps dsl line will download max at 32KB/second. 512kbps, your at 64KB/sec.

If it's 50kbps, then we need some more information. Like what program, what method (P2P, FTP)??? and are you on a wireless connection.

4. herb

herb Private E-2

ooh. kbps is like kila bit?? and KB is kilobyte.. OOH.. lol

umm..

its when im normally downloading useing firefox.
    and im using a wired router.
    i also was confused about how fast dial up speeds r too
    i also use utorrent. but the max speed ive EVER gotten is like 70 kbs and it was only like that for about 3 seconds :(

5. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

i think the only one who can clear this up for good is your ISP. they know how much you should be getting.

I have DSL as well, not sure of the rated speed but i download at 150kb/s

6. Ironsnipe

Dial-up speeds will be no quicker than 56kbps. Which if the connection is a perfect 56kbps, then you'll download at 7KB/s. At least in the US of A there is a FCC law indication that it is illegal for you to connect through a dialup connection faster than like 51.xkbps. People have, however, overclocked believe it or not their modems and achieved higher than normal dialup rates. This is highly illegald and said persons were fined eventually.

I would like you to go to dslreports.com then go to their tools, then speedtests. Connect to a server to run a speed test and tell me what it says.

also to stop the confusion, if yoru talking about kilobyte's, you should always write it KB/s, and kilobits as kbps.

7. herb

herb Private E-2

ok yeah my down speed was 411 Kb/s up was 54 Kb/s

8. Ironsnipe

your fine then, it seems like you have a 512 kbps line from your dsl company. Under the tools section on that website look for the tweak test. It'll tell you if your registry settings are correct for the type of connection you have.

9. herb

herb Private E-2

well how do u change your RWIN?

10. herb

herb Private E-2

that would be cool to get like a 3 GBps conection!

11. Ironsnipe

12. Ironsnipe

13. herb

herb Private E-2

WOW 10 gigs a second! thats amazing!

what does it take to start your own internet connection (like your own, not from an isp)??

14. Ironsnipe

i have no clue, but your going to have to pay somewhere down the line, like access to the other companies networks, yoru going ot need server's to handle the traffic, fiber optic cabling, fiber routers, fcc license ( which prolly costs shit loads), you looking at 100 million to start your own isp prolly.

15. herb

herb Private E-2

a 100 mil wow thats for a high speed one?

16. Ironsnipe

i believe T-1's are roughly 300 bucks, T-3's can be upwards of 5000. I looked into an OC-3 at one point, we were starting a video game dedicated server company and needed bandwidth, and it was like 15000. these rates are per MONTH from another ISP. the initial investment to connect to a backbone is probably astronomical. the biggest cost is leasing of the already installed fiber lines.

17. herb

herb Private E-2

o so like the fiber-whatever lines are pretty expensive then i guess too

18. Ironsnipe

Yeah those prices I quoted are for leasing the line only. We still needed to buy a router that could convert from a light signal to an electrical signal, a fiber router, and those were 2k a piece. We also needed high end hardware so our network could even use the bandwidth. Not to mention Fiber line is expensive per foot. Upwards of 10 for a meter of it. Cat 6 cabling i can get a 1000ft box for like 40 bucks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds