I'm more embarrassed to not know than I am to ask, but I'm still pretty embarrassed

Discussion in 'Software' started by hankyknot, Oct 20, 2009.

1. hankyknot

hankyknot Corporal

Every now and then you find yourself not knowing something that you feel is so obvious, kinda like the IT equivalent of what comes after breathing in?

Anywhoo, I dont know the answer to this because I've never asked nor have I tried. Sure I could just do it and watch the results but I might frig something up. Also this post will serve to show others that nobody knows everything and there is no such thing as a stupid question, just the stupidity of being ignorant because you're too embarrassed to ask.

As long as I retain the .exe file extension is there any reason why I cannot change the name of an executable file that I download so that it makes more sense to me?

ie instead of saving a file called mbam_agfsd.exe or whatever its called when i download MalwareBytes, cant I just save it as malwarebytes.exe?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  2. da.bell

da.bell Private First Class

Re: I'm more embarrassed to not know than I am to ask, but I'm still pretty embarrass

Yes, you can do that. As long as the exe file is not utilized anywhere else or by a service that starts when booting up your computer.

3. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Re: I'm more embarrassed to not know than I am to ask, but I'm still pretty embarrass

Yep you can do that but you have to change the name of of it bofore opening it, well thats usually what i do anyway, and also take note of what da.bell says too, it too in normal practice ! ;)

4. hankyknot

hankyknot Corporal

Thanks folks, I figured that as long as the executable only refers to the installer and is not the application itself then I shouldn't have a problem.

Typically once installed a program doesnt refer to its own installer otherwise it would presumeably just replicate the installation and never stop, a bit like that time we put PTO on both side of a letter to grandma, took her months of reading it before she figured it out :p

5. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Nice one Hanky ! :-D

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I download programs to try and forget what they are because of the strange name in front of the exe.
    My solution: I have an old program, which used to be free from PCMag called Explorer Notes2. It is mentioned here http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1847207,00.asp
    but I can't get the blurb about it to load.
    update: I found an article here
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,5860,00.asp

I simply right click anything (usually an exe) and select EN then I get a popup box where I can type notes to myself. When I right click the "unknown" item again, I'll see several red paper clips and have the option to delete the note or edit the note as some of the choices. I usually select edit when I want to refresh my memory as to what the unknown thing is. ;)

7. Imperfect1

Imperfect1 Private First Class

OK, here's my stupid question. . . what's PTO?

8. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I couldn't figure it out myself. I thought this was the meaning but couldn't figure out the words to go with the acronym.

"Please Turn Over" http://www.maclean-nj.com/opinions/stories/6.htm

9. Imperfect1

Imperfect1 Private First Class

Thanks sach2 I sort of figured it had something to do with turning the page over, but couldn't quite put it together. :banghead

10. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Interesting topic...

Changing the name is one thing, but I've shown some customers how changing the file extension is a way they're getting malware on their machines through file-sharing programs...

For example: write a pseudo-virus (write any garbage in a text editor - notepad will do), and save it...now, unhide file extensions in Windows Explorer, and change the file ext. of your virus to .mpg, and save it, disregarding any instability warning...now, go back and hide the extensions, and presto!

If this were a real virus, you could fool most browsers, d/l managers, etc., into thinking this file was a music file, open it - and the rest is history...

Sick...

11. alan12345

alan12345 Private E-2

Not the best idea I have seen.

Hijack This forums recommend that malware hunters should be renamed so the malware already resident will not recognise the enemy until it is too late.
    Your particular example sounds like pinning a bulls-eye on the chest of the hero that came to your rescue ! !

If you rename an installer you may as well delete it and save some space.
    Whether you rename or delete you will probably suffer grief if you attempt to uninstall or update - but otherwise it should work.

Any software that costs you a licence is likely to be less concerned with meeting your needs than ensuring you are fully paid up and not a pirate.
    It may perhaps revoke your licence if you have changed its name.

I am sure that some *.exe will still work perfectly with a different name,
    but some may well cause problems, and restoring a file name will not restore a revoked licence.

Alan

12. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

We often recommend that you change the names of these:
    SuperAntiSpyware.exe to SAS.exe
    MalwareBytes.exe to MB.exe
    Hijackthis.exe to analyse.exe

13. sach2

I don't think this is true. An installer.exe just unpacks some files into a temporary directory to use them for the installation process. It makes no difference what the installer file is named. How many hundreds of Setup.exe(s) have you seen? After the program is installed it is simpler to leave names unchanged but prior to installation changing the name of the installer is fine. I do it all the time. rc_4567.exe means nothing to me. Recovery Console Standalone Setup_Oct102009_.exe makes perfect sense when I decide whether I want to keep it a month of so from now.

14. alan12345

alan12345 Private E-2

I definitely agree that it is better to rename an installer BEFORE you use it rather than after using it.

I like portable software that does need an installer that occupies as much disc space as the application itself.

Some applications will allow an installer to be removed,
    and the application will run and can also be removed / updated,
    but some will not know how to un-install or update if the originally installer is absent.

I once removed the PerfectDisc installer, and was unable to do an update without the original installer.
    Because of my foresight I had obtained advice from PerfectDisc and knew of this hazard before removal, so I only removed it AFTER first creating an archive image of C:\, and I was able to retrieve that installer when I needed it.

n.b. I like to run CCleaner and clean the registry after installing software, and then delete the installer to the recycle bin, and then look for new registry issues. If I only see irrelevant MUIcache errors etc then I happily empty the recycle bin, but if I see evidence that the registry considers that missing installer to be needed then I restore it from recycle back to where it belongs and think again.

I think deleting a *.msi Microsoft Installer is a definite hazard.
    I suspect that *.exe installers may be better behaved - but if the application folder does not have an "unwise" or "install" I fear the worst.

Alan

15. sach2

I want to be agreeable but I'm still unconvinced an installer has to be saved. I believe that when you execute the installer it uncompresses files contained within to a temp folder and copies the ones it needs on disk to the appropriate directory (usually Program Files\programname) which would include uninstall information. I've never read or been advised to save the installer program after installation.

I guess I may find out some day because I have Perfect Disk and have no idea where the installer is backed up. I think I did actually save it to DVD somewhere with the license code but only in case I needed to install again and I couldn't get a newer download to work with my license.

Thanks for your insights. I'll definitely check the PerfectDisk site before doing a routine reformat.

16. alan12345

alan12345 Private E-2

I agree that often an installer is not needed and can be removed after it has done its job, but there are exceptions.

If you open Control Panel => Add or Remove programs you will find that when it runs the top left corner identifies it as "CHANGE or Remove programs".
    When you scroll down the list as each program is selected it will show a button labelled REMOVE. If it is called "CHANGE/REMOVE, or if there is a CHANGE button beside it, then assume that what has been installed can be modified - probably because the installer is still present and can allow you to alter the installation options.
    On the left is possibly a link called "Click here for support Information", and if you click there you are likely to see links to the suppliers web site;
    and also possibly a button called REPAIR or CHANGE suggesting it still has uses for the installer.

"PerfectDisc 10 Professional" has a link on the left giving only website
    addresses etc., and a CHANGE button on the right. If I click on CHANGE a "Windows Installer" window opens up and I am asked to verify that it is a valid "Windows Installer patch package".

Look at http://www.raxco.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=275
    I started that topic and learnt the PerfectDisk need for having the old installer to facilitate an update by a new installer.

n.b. the PerfectDisc Installer uses twice the disc space of the application.
    You will see from the above topic that you can choose to delete either the x86 or x64 install folder/files, depending upon the platform.

Regards
    Alan

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds