I'm not even a noob yet

Discussion in 'Software' started by Paxton007, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Paxton007

Paxton007 MajorGeek

I'm looking to delve into the world on Linux. I just acquired a computer that has barely been used, and thought it a good candidate for Ubuntu 7.1

Would this be a good place to start with Linux? Also, are there any places like this for Linux? Heck, I haven't looked here for anything like that since I don't use it yet, so maybe here is a good place for all things Linux.

Thanks.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You choose a distro not based on what appears to be the most popular but one that likes your hardware.
    What are the specs on the computer? (speed, RAM, hd size) Are you on dialup or high speed?
    Do you have a CD burner and do you know how to burn an ISO?

3. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

I went with Ubuntu for the vast information on the Ubuntu Forums. I have also tried a OpenSuse disk, Knoppix, Gentoo, and 3 others I cannot remember.

Most will run either Gnome or KDE. Like Mac or Windows in appearance and ease to setup/maintain.

The nice thing is, if you don't like it like myself with KDE 4.0, it takes a few keystrokes to change it and "fix" it with something else.

Best of success!

:cool

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds