I'm not getting any sound off my brand new PC.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NuB@Useast, Nov 25, 2005.

1. NuB@Useast

NuB@Useast Private E-2

Hello

I'm not getting any sound off my brand new PC. The sound on the motherboard should be working but it isn't for some reason, i've checked my device manager and i've seen a yellow question mark labeled Multimedia Audio Manager, i'm guessing that's the reason? Anyways I can't install it, it's telling me that it doesnt have the software, i have my motherboard CD in the drive aswell.

Anyone know why can anyone help me? I really need to get this done befor Sunday.

2. NuB@Useast

NuB@Useast Private E-2

If I might add my Onboard sound device isn't working and the PCI sound card that I just bought that came with NO cd isn't working properly.

Model number for the PCI sound card is SB0220 i've tried downloading the driver but it says it detected no soundblaster / creative live! device on my computer. it also came with a 4 pin connector, one side goes into the PCI card and the other onto the motherbard which i've done.

help me please!

3. Numbchuck

Numbchuck Private E-2

Did you try updating your onboard drivers like this;

- Insert the installation CD.
    - Right-click on the unknown device(or device with a yellow mark).
    - click Update Driver
    - Click "No, not this time"
    - Click "Install from a specific location"
    - Tick "Search removable media".
    - Now click Next.

Otherwise;
    - click Update Driver
    - Click "No, not this time"
    - Click "Install drivers automatically"
    - Click Next.

You probably need your onboard sound working before the PCI card will work.
    If none of this works look for new drivers on the net.

4. Prophets21

Prophets21 Staff Sergeant

You don't need on board sound to work for the PCI card to work.

If you have found the drivers for your card, I suggest installing it through device manager as Numbchuck said.

During installation you must tell windows where your driver files are.

5. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

That 4 pin connector goes form your soundcard into the back of your cdrom,my guess is you have connected the two outputs from your new soundcard and your motherboard soundcard,for confusions sake remove the cable completely you dont need it anyway.

I'll give instructions how to get your soundcard working as I dont know the name of your motherboard or onboard sound.First turn off your computer,remove the new soundcard,next you need to enter bios,to do this tap delete as soon as you have pressed the computer power button,keep tappping it until the screen turns blue and you are presented with a menu of options you are now in the bios,from here you need to disable onboard sound,check through the menus it is usually in integrated peripherals,find it and disable.

Turn your computer on, let everything load wait until the harddrive has finished making noises then turn off your computer again,install your new soundcard,upon reboot if you have installed the soundcard correctly add new hardware wizard should run,cancel out of it,if it doesnt the card is probably dead.

Connect to the internet go to this page,its creatives auto update page it hopefully should find and install the latest driver for your card

http://creative.com/language.asp?sDestUrl=/support/downloads/su.asp

:)

6. NuB@Useast

NuB@Useast Private E-2

thanks for the suppot, i've tried this and no hardware wizard came up after restarting. I think the sound card is dead, the seller offered me a new sound card, i'll pick that up.

Also, it seens that my "Multimedia Audio Controller" since the start, could that be the reason?

7. Rikky

could be but doubtfull I just wanted it disabled to save confusion,did you disable your onboard sound? if you did so correctly your multimedia audio controller should have disappeared from system properties along with the explaination mark :confused:

Do you want try installing the driver for your onboard sound,if so post the name of your computer eg dell 5000

8. Rikky

Also even though no hardware wizard appeared run the creative auto detect page

9. NuB@Useast

NuB@Useast Private E-2

well, i installed my onboard sound but im not getting any sound still..the multimedia audio controller still has the yellow explaination mark.

also i think i disabled my onboard sound lol >< my onboard sound drive ris called reaktek audio97 so i seen that in my BIOS i disabled that, could that be it? lol

10. Prophets21

Prophets21 Staff Sergeant

Yes you should re-enable that in the bios. Then if you later wanted to disable it again, simply do it in windows in the device manager.

As for the PCI sound card, when installing it, you should disable your on board sound. Again, this can be done in the device manager.

Good luck.

11. Rikky

Right so you have enabled onboard sound in bios and device manager but there stiol a question mark because the driver isnt installed,usually its not recommended to use online driver search in microsoft but since its just an ac 97 onboard soundcard it should easily find the latest driver,so connect to the internet go to device manager,find the question mark,update driver,let windows search the internet for the driver :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds