Im thinking of upgrading my laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kion, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Kion

Kion Private E-2

Hey guys im thinking of upgrading my laptop.

Its specs are: JHL90, Intel core 2 duo CPU T9600 @ 2.8ghz, 4.0 gb ram, Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT.

Its has overheating problems with the video card which is slowly degrading and honestly seems to be becoming obsolete. The laptop is on its 2nd year and seems otherwise fine. Im also told that this card is not integrated and can be replaced.

Specifically i would like to know if i can add more ram and what the best video card available for my computer would be. Im thinking of going windows 7 64 bit since im only on vista 32 bit. aside from that please note anything else that might be worth changing.

2. Layzie Bone

Layzie Bone Private E-2

Check with the manufacturer if your laptop can support more than 4 GB of memory, if so memory might be a good upgrade especially if you plan on going 64-bit. Otherwise that appears to be a pretty decent machine. Also check for any dust that might be clogging the heat sinks and fans, this would cause a big drop in video card performance if air cannot flow then it will overheat.

3. Kion

Kion Private E-2

so what is the best the video card that i can fit in my computer model according to the previously stated specs?

4. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT probably.

Just because the graphics chip isn't soldered to the motherboard (and I wouldn't be surprised if it is) It dosen't mean that the whole graphics card isn't part of the motherboard and thus cannot be replaced.

5. Kion

Kion Private E-2

I had a friend look into the DirectX diagnostic tool and he says it can be replaced. he even says he could take the video card out and put a new one in provided that i do the research to find out what card i would need.

somthing in the display tab under device indicated this to him, i'll post that just in case it can help.

Name: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip Type: GeForce 9600M GT
    DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Approx. Total Memory: 1774MB
    Current Display Mode: 1280 x 800 (32 bit) (60 Hz)
    Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor

6. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

As I stated in a previous post, I have not yet come across a laptop graphics card that can be upgraded. I know some laptop motherboards suport the removal and replacement of chips, but that ig generally only ot the exact same chip type again.

However, I am prepared to be found wrong on this subject although I doubt it can be done.

Personally I would focus on cleaning the heatsink and fan in the laptop first.

7. Kion

Kion Private E-2

ok fair enough lol, do you know if i can hold more ram?

8. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Visit Crucial.com and use their memory configurator; it will tell you the maximum memory your computer can support.

9. Kion

Kion Private E-2

it says

Maximum Memory Capacity: 4194304 MB
    Currently Installed Memory: 4096 MB
    Available Memory Slots: N.A.
    Total Memory Slots: 2
    Dual Channel Support: N.A.
    CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
    CPU Family: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T9600 @ 2.80GHz Model 7, Stepping 6
    CPU Speed: 2801 MHz

4194304 MB sounds a little high lol can my processor even process that much??

10. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

4GB is what you currently have, and it is a little over what a 32-bit operating system can address.

4GB is perfectly enough RAM anyway, as 32-bit programs can only address up to 2GB each, and only very resource heavy programs are likely to come anywhere near that.

As I and Layzie Bone have said before, clean the heatsink and fan area, WITHOUT removing the heatsink from the chips, unless you replace the thermal paste. This may cure all your problems.

11. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

How did you get that number? Did you use the Crucial Memory Advisor™ tool or the Crucial System Scanner tool? What is the make and model of your computer or your motherboard?

12. Kion

Kion Private E-2

to collins: Yes i know but im thinking of going to 64 bit windows 7 so i imagine it would be good to add more ram wouldnt it?

to Usa: I used the scanner tool on the websight... the specs are JHL90 laptop model, Intel core 2 duo CPU T9600 @ 2.8ghz, 4.0 gb ram, Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT.... Though i dont really know anything about the motherboard.

13. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

The Rizeon website states that the PC can be configured with 1 up to 4GB of RAM:
    http://www.rizeon.com/laptops/rizeon_jhl90.php (specification tab)

This is the only reliable source I have been able to find on the matter.

14. Kion

Kion Private E-2

well that greatly simplfies things lol. so are my specs sufficient to run 64 bit windows 7?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds