Image software for 64bit

Discussion in 'Software' started by evilfantasy, Nov 3, 2009.

1. evilfantasy

evilfantasy Malware Fighter

Preferably free but not a must. Ease of use is a must! ;)

Vista 64bit. I want to image the drive before trying this Win 7 upgrade. A good (up-to-date) tutorial would be nice also. :major

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi EF

I was going to say Acronis True Image 2010 which works perfectly in 64Bit, however for a free one give Macium Reflect a try, I have personally tested it in 64bit and it worked ok, may not have the features of Acronis but it should do the trick and has the option like Acronis to create a Boot CD. Tutorial here

Are you clean installing Windows 7 or running the upgrade from Vista? the clean install is the less proplematic way as the upgrade could last 2hrs or more and do run the upgrade advisor for Windows 7 first and if it tells you that something is not compatible then uninstall it before upgrading as it will start the upgrade but rollback part way in thus taking more time to do the upgrade, I did a machine for a reletive the other week on an upgrade as that was their preference and it was a PITB.

3. evilfantasy

hi Halo.

I was hoping it would be a new install but it's from Dell and appears to be an upgrade.

I have 2 CD's:

Windows 7 Upgrade Assistant DVD. Which it asks to be first and I think is a tutorial of some sort, haven't launched it yet so not sure.

Windows 7 Upgrade Option DVD. Which I think is the OS.

I had a free version of Acronis at one time but have somehow "lost" it and Macium Reflect is what I was looking at installing. I tried the O&O DiskImage Express Edition but can't seem to find the free 64bit version it asked me to install.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi EF

Not tried a clean unstall with upgrade media, but if that is what they have sent you maybe this could help, not gotten around to testing this either as I dont have upgrade media and forgot to ask for some while I was at MSFT last week! (so I could test this scenario)

As for O&O Express, try this as I just installed it in x64 Windows 7 to test, when you download the package for MGs, unzip and you will see two folders, Program Files and Program Files (x86) open the Program Files folder and thats the x64 installer, will need a reboot.

5. evilfantasy

Thanks. I was trying to use the one in Program Files (x86).

I'm not going to attempt the upgrade until tomorrow maybe. Hopefully it goes smooth.

6. evilfantasy

Does this mean that should I need this image I will have to buy the full version?

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds