Image with transparent background in Gimp

Discussion in 'Software' started by stacyloca2, Aug 21, 2013.

1. stacyloca2

stacyloca2 Private E-2

I have read so many tutorials, watched videos and done all I can and still this is not working for me. I use Gimp, and I am trying to make a logo of text only with a transparent background.
    Have followed step by step all instruction provided by different tutorials and still white background. When I hit save as, initially it does not allow me to save as png, it wants me to save as xcf first then export, so I have tried that then exporting, no go, so I have tried not saving and simply exporting, and exporting as png. Still white background.
    I create a new one, make it 800 x 800, add alpha channel, then make the text, font size etc, then go to filters, map, map object. Then I try to export or save as, png thing.
    Im so lost and have been working on this allll day, i have watched and read SO many tutorials, Im not a dumb person, how am I not getting something that should be so simple? :( Help!

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hi and welcome. :)

To start off, I don't work in Gimp, I work in Photoshop. So I'm not familiar with gimp's processes. However I looked at a youtube video to check it out.

In PS, when I'm working in layers, I can save my files as PSD. Essentially what that does is saves all my layers so I can open it up later and keep working where I left off. I looked up XCF and it seems that is the same type of file for gimp.

Here's a video I watched to see how its done in Gimp: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jz5zvWgYwo

The steps seem to be as follows:

-File > New
    -Set your image size > OK
    -Text Tool > Create text as you would like it
    -Filter > Map > Map Object > check Transparent Background

It should process your file at this point

-Delete the extra background which seems to say "background"

-Save as .png > save
    -In the export box uncheck everything except the last option: "Save color values from transparent pixels" > Save

I noticed in your description above you mentioned adding an alpha channel after opening the new document. I did not see anywhere in the tutorial where the kid did that when just creating text.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds