Imaging Backup Software/Macrium?

Discussion in 'Software' started by takirb, Apr 14, 2010.

1. takirb

takirb Private E-2

We're currently running 2 servers; Windows Server 2003 and 2003 R2 OS's. Each server holds databases, and we'd been using Symantec Backup Exec and Veritas Backup Exec for a while, but neither do imaging, and Veritas was too old to support encryption.

I upgraded to Acronis Backup&Recovery 10 for Server 2003, and WOW was that a mistake. 30hrs later, and maybe 6 successful backups, i'm calling it quits on Acronis. Their support is awful at best, and it appears their rep is going downhill. Their previous versions of TrueImage worked great for us in the passed, dunno why the newer version is filled with bugs.

But anywho, can anyone here vouch for Macrium? I'm looking for anyone who's successfully imaged all partitions and restored them back. Were there any problems, special workarounds, etc? Compression is a +, but encryption is a must. Any problems with Macrium using those features? Do they allow pre-commands such as batch files or will it actually delete the previous images as instructed (another bug in Acronis)? I understand it's supposed to be low-resource, but i'm aiming at setting the backup to high priority to speed it up at night (Acronis runs 7-10hrs sometimes). Any help or info is appreciated. I've searched for reviews here, but there's not many details in the results.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I can vouch for it in a non-server enviroment, but not as yet used it for servers, I'm afraid, we tend to RAID our servers and use an older version of Acronis 9.1.

Macrium Reflect does tick a few of your boxes on encryption at AES 256bit, Compression levels can be set by the user, VBScript integration for custom control, it does also have scheduling.

I would as they have a trail period of the software give it a trial run, unless anyone else has specific hands on knowledge of this software with backing up a Server, I dont I'm afraid, only Windows client PCs and I found the software worked well.

3. takirb

takirb Private E-2

We're running RAID on our servers also. Previous versions of Acronis have worked very well for us in the passed. We're currently working on a refund from Acronis, but need to get a good, tested, and reputable imaging backup solution underway ASAP. We looked into DriveImage XML (i use it still for reformats), but they don't offer encryption to my knowledge, and configuration options aren't as plentiful as other applications. Does anyone still use Ghost? We've been using Acronis for so long it seems, I'm not sure where to turn to now that they're outta the equation.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds