Imaging/backup software....

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Jul 15, 2011.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I know this has been discussed a bazillion times here in the MG forums (including this thread that a started under a different account name 4 years ago), but I'm in need of some imaging software similar to Acronis. I do have an old version of Acronis floating around somewhere (version 8? they gave it away for free a few years ago) but I'm not sure if it works with x64 Win7, and I'm not sure if I can even find it. Anyway, I'm about to buy a new motherboard and RAM for my home PC, and I'll be doing a clean install. Once the OS is installed with drivers, updates, and after I install my 'core' apps (Office, browsers, video processing programs), I'm going to want to build a back up image to store on either an external hard drive, or maybe on a set of DVDs, or maybe both. From what I remember of Acronis when I last used it with WinXP years ago, is that the image was saved to where you wanted (DVD, external HD, etc), and then a rescue boot CD was created. In the event of a crash, you'd boot to the rescue CD and then insert the disc/HD with the image on it and it would do its thing.... so, this is basically what I'm looking for. If the old Acronis works with x64 Win7 (and if I can find it), then I'll use that. Otherwise, suggestions will be appreciated. Freeware is always preferred (I'm a cheap SOB), but if there's something that is worth paying for, I'll do it, but I don't envision using this software very often, so paying more than $30-$40 for something I'll use maybe two-three times a year is about right....

THX!

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hello dlb,
    I have done a bit research for this for you and it is not recommend that you use a bootable media created with Acronis True Image 8.0 with Windows 7. The thing is that most likely it won't be able to create a correct alignment on the new drive if you're going to restore. This may prevent Windows from booting after the restoration.

I suggest you to have a look at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/index.html that is fully compatible with Windows 7.

or there is always Macrium reflect (free) though I am unfamiliar with its limitations: http://majorgeeks.com/Macrium_Reflect_FREE_Edition_d6034.html

others here do quite often reccomend Macrium Reflect it is free but if it was me I would most likely stick to what I was used to using as in the acronis software for you ;), hopefully others will jump in and give their opinions/advice also.

Iain.

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

@ tgell: I didn't know that ToDo had a bootable rescue disc option, nor did I know that it did full image backups; I thought it simply was for backing up selected files/folders automatically using a schedule. Also, my drive C: is indeed a Seagate drive, so their software is apparently an option too. I'll have to check it out.

@ iain.t: I had a feeling that my old version of Acronis wasn't going to work with Win7 for whatever reason, thanks for confirming that!

I have used ToDo in the past for a client to back up their business files (QuickBooks, Outlook, etc); every Friday night, the entire week of business was backed up to a 1tb external drive, so I am at least somewhat familiar with ToDo. I have never used Macrium, but I have seen it here at MG and read the description... I'll have to do a bit more research....

THANKS!

5. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

If you are happy to pay the licence fee for Acronis 2011 then that would be my recommendation. I have used it weekly, (and the 2010 version) for nearly two years now, and carried out numerous restores, all without a single problem. But having said that I have also tried out both Macrium and Todo and they have performed faultlessly too, but they both offer far fewer features than Acronis. Depends what you want from an imaging program in addition to just simple imaging.

Whichever you use, as tgell has said, it is essential to prove that the rescue CD can see both the source disk containing your image files, and the target disk, the one you want to restore the image to. When the current NTFS layout first came in, many backup programs, including Acronis, had problems 'seeing' the new drives, and with restored images failing to boot, but as far as I can see those issues are now resolved.

EDIT - btw, I can definitely confirm Acronis v8 does NOT work with 7

6. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Control Panel > System and Security > Backup and Restore > Create a system image on left.
    I have used it a couple of times (Win7 x64 Ultimate) and it worked flawlessly.
    An option.;)

7. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

@ lbmest: I didn't know that the "Backup & Restore" feature built-in to Win7 did the full imaging, I thought it was more basic and worked more like "System Restore". Thanks for pointing this out! I'll have to take a closer look at it when I got home...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds